Question On Painted Fondant And Icing On Top

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, I am doing a camo cake- layed my fondant, then painted every inch of it with vodka/wilton paste paint.

I know I have to let that dry. Now I have to ice it with an offwhite.

they want a 'lace' around the edges, still not sure how I'm going to swing that. I fiqure ruffles on the top corners, with cornelli lace on the sides and then a ruffle on bottom.

Plus, Ihave to put the logo for the buisiness on the top. I am going to do this in Buttercream. how long should I wait to do this work?

and its delivered tomorrow. Should I put it in the fridge? or leave it to set out overnight? I can keep the house at any degree I want.

there is nothing in it to spoil. no filling, no eggs, milk etc.

Thanks for any insite into this, its my first attempt with Fondant. and to be honest, it went on SOOOOOOO easy. I scared myself. I was so worried about how the corners would drape and having to cut and try to get the seems to match, and when I cut off the extra length, it just fell right into place. I am praying it doesnt settle overnight and start to bubble or slide, or crack... I just think the fondant went on too easy and too perfect.

3 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:00am
post #2 of 4

well you can see some cracks in the fondant if you look close. Since the colors are so jumbled its not real noticable, but its cracking, almost like buttercream would. What did I do wrong?

I cant take it off and fix it. Painting this cake took HOURS. Then doing the ruffles and lace was awful. I dont do piping well. I think I need to take a class or 12. I am in no way a professional, nor will I ever be. I just was doing a favor for a friend. But I would like it to look nice. icon_smile.gif So, what did I do wrong so I dont do it again?

and I am right that it can sit in the cardboard bakery box overnight on the counter right?

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:35am
post #3 of 4

I'm not sure if I can be of much help, but if there's nothing in the cake that needs to be refrigerated, then I wouldn't put it in the fridge. The condensation could make the fondant wet (and ruin the painting you've done). It may be too late, but here is a tutorial on making a camo pattern out of fondant without having to paint it:

You could possibly pipe the logo on parchment paper, let it dry completely, peel it off and then carefully position it onto the cake if you have enough time. Good luck!

chellescountrycakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the link- Unfortunatly mine was hunting camoflauge, like realtree or mossy oak, and it has to be painted. But I am thrilled to know that I was right and wasnt supposed to put it in the fridge icon_smile.gif Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%