My Husband Has Gout! ;(

Lounge By mellormom Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 11:15am by mellormom

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 9

And of course he won't go to the Dr. or try the home remedies that are shown to reduce it. But he will lie around all night with his foot elevated and not do a thing. Hmmmm....... I can see the milking potential here! LOL
I know gout really hurts. But I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for him when he won't get help or do things to reduce it. (why are they so stubborn?!)
We are trying to change our diet but you tell a man that he can't have Beer, spicy food or red meat! Also nitrates are a no no. So I guess I'll have to start shopping at Trader Joes now. LOL
Life is so fun isn't it! Thanks for letting me complain! LOL
Jen...

8 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 9

sorry your husband has gout! I remember growing up, my grandpa used to get the "gout" all the time. I really thought it was something made up in our family, cause I never heard anyone else talking about it! Then my dad got it as I got older and I did more research on it .. turns out, my grandpa knew what he was talking about! icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 9

OUCH!!!! Bad stuff!

mellormom Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 9

Yeah it does hurt I guess! I don't know what hurts him more, the gout or no beer? LOL
Jen...

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 9

My hubby has it as well, there are medications for it, he just has to go to the doc. first time took my husband 3 days to get around to it and boy was the relief great. He just had another bout, went immediately and did not suffer at all, not like the first time

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 9

My husband has been treated for gout for the last 2 years...This past Saturday he was hospitalized due to Pneumonia..he is still in the hospital as we speak!...Dr's have found out he has a Auto Immune disease and not gout....If your hubby isn't gonna go to the Dr it could lead to more complicated matters...If I would have waited 30 more minutes to call an ambulance...he would have died....Please tell you hubby to go...

mellormom Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 9

thanks for the advice. He won't go anyway but i'll let him know what you said. icon_smile.gif You never know men can surprise you once in a great while and have common sense. icon_smile.gif
His uncles both have it and it is hereditary so he probably has gout.
I hope your husband gets better soon!
Jen...

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:18am
post #8 of 9

My dad has gout (my mom did also) and I can promise you when it gets bad enough he will go to the doctor. It will be like the worse hot hurting pain he can imagine. My dad takes a med every day for it and hasn't had a flare up in years. Gout is a build up of uric acid in your body and the pills will get rid of it through a few bathroom visits! But it will get better FAST. Just wait, he'll go when it gets bad enough and I HOPE that's all it is and not something worse as the PP said happened to her dad (wishing him the best). My dad's knuckle looks like he has TWO HUGE knuckles from the gout settling(?) there but it's not painful.

mellormom Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:15am
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys. My husband will be resistant to meds because he is already on 4 different ones for other things. But hopefully the pain will get bad enough and he will need to go. His flair up is gone now so I will have to wait until another one comes to see what happens.
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%