Fondant Takes Away From The Taste!

Baking By FranklyFoxxy Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 6:47am by prterrell

FranklyFoxxy Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 10

I love using mmf for my cakes, however, i feel that it takes away from the taste. I love the way buttercream frosting sets off the flavor of my cakes. For me, it's not enough to just have a beautiful cake made with fondant and not be able to enjoy the taste of it like you would if it were buttercream. I really need help on how to spruce up the taste of my fondant. it's too chewy/gummy. icon_cry.gif

9 replies
Larkin121 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 10

If you are rolling the fondant thin enough, your cake should have enough buttercream for the flavor and just a bit of fondant on the outside. It's not all that noticeable and if someone doesn't like it, they can just eat around it.

You can play with the taste of the MMF, but you can't change the texture. It is what it is. Try adding extracts to your MMf to change the flavor. I used to use raspberry, strawberry, orange, lemon, etc depending on the cake flavor inside.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 10

Okay I think you are actually talking about two different issues.

It sounds like you don't like the texture of fondant, since you said it is "chewy and gummy" which is different than the taste. I'm a firm believe that many people really don't like the chewiness of fondant, but don't know how to describe that as much and blame it on the taste.

As for the taste, if you make home made fondant you can make in what ever flavors you want, so you can match with your cake flavors there. If you are using premade you can add flaving, via extracts or candy oils.

As far as the texture, you could try other recipes or roll it thinner, but I think that is part of the nature of fondant.

cathyscakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 10

Its the nature of fondant to be chewy, if it wasn't you couldn't work with it. Some people like it, some don't, and for the ones that don't they can peel it off and leave it on their plate. I don't like nuts, so I pick out the nuts. I was like you, didn't like the chewiness of the fondant, but I love to use it, so I just leave it on my plate.

FranklyFoxxy Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 10

I guess you're right, Cathy'sCakes. I may have gotten offended because I saw where someone picked all the fondant off the cake then threw it away. My buttercream frosting never gets that response. "It's Just The Nature OF Fondant"

Caths_Cakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 10

its funny how cakes go in different places, im from the uk and fondant (We call it icing lol ) is the best bit!

indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

It sounds like you don't like the texture of fondant, since you said it is "chewy and gummy" which is different than the taste. I'm a firm believe that many people really don't like the chewiness of fondant, but don't know how to describe that as much and blame it on the taste.


absolutely agree. First time my son tasted fondant, he said he didnt' like it. Me, being me, pushed him to explain WHAT he didn't like about it. (Irritates hubby to death when I always want to know WHY he doesn't like something or what exactly about it he doesn't like. icon_biggrin.gif )

Son finally figured out "The taste is ok ... I just don't like chewing it."

TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 10

Indy, I'll have students come in and say they don't like fondant on a cake and I always ask why. 95% of the time, then they stop and think about it, it is the texture they or their families didn't like. The other 5%, I think are just preprogrammed to hate it because they read/hear everyone say it 'tastes' bad.

My family is one that doesn't like the texture of fondant. Wouldn't matter what recipe or brand I used, they prefer melt in your mouth to chew, chew, chew.

JustToEatCake Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #9 of 10

Yup, we don't like fondant either, eating it..but I LOVE the look!

prterrell Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:47am
post #10 of 10

In my family, the adults peel the fondant off their pieces of cake and the kids like the fondant better than the cake. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%