Pricing A Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By L_Collins Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm by L_Collins

L_Collins Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 3

I just got my first request for a topsy turvy cake. She wants a 3 tier, using the top tier as the smash cake and the bottom 2 tiers to feed about 50 people. I live in a rural area and don't get a huge amount of business.

She would like it to resemble this cake:

2 replies
KHalstead Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 3

that cake doesn't look like it's tapered in toward the bottom, just carved at a slant on top.

Here is how I figure servings. TT cakes are generally 6" high (3 layers of 2" high cake) per you have MORE cake than normal.........however, because it gets carved at the angle (even though the cake is still there) you just wind up with a TALLER cake, and people tend to still slice it like normal, only the slices are taller. I figure the regular servings for a 4" tall cake using the measurement of the largest (top layer) layer of the cake. So if my body cake consisted of a 10",9",8" cake......I would use the regular servings for a 10" round which is 35 and that's the servings I use. However..............I raise my per serving price for TT, and that accounts for the extra layer of cake!

My normal cakes are $1.00 less per serv. than the TT.

L_Collins Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for replying. I was starting to worry that no one would help! Thank you for the info! PS- love the quote at the end of your post. I may use it in my church bulletin for tomorrow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%