Is This A Sign I'm Getting Old?

Lounge By Kitagrl Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 1:33am by Kitagrl

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:55am
post #121 of 173

Anybody ever hear of an ice cream parlor called "The Hidden House"? Not sure if it was just a local business or not. It was like a 31 Flavors place.

Remember collecting soda pop bottles to cash in for penny candy?

The first steam hair curler set?

When aluminum Christmas trees came out with the color wheel?

Remember when guys wouldn't be caught dead blow drying their hair or wearing pink?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:56am
post #122 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

I still have a Christmas record my dad got free at the gas station with a fill up.

and lunch countes with the water served in that paper funnel in a metal holder........ icon_confused.gif

how about a department store where your money went in a vacuum tube to the cashier and they sent back change.........

oh and I was a "Paul" girl and I would have died to see the Beatles

I was (er..... am) a Paul girl myself. I'd still take him.

I had totally forgotten about the paper funnel cups in the metal holders. That's a great memory.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:57am
post #123 of 173

cownsj

me too..... he has aged nicely icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #124 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstead

Hey did I mention I am old enough to vaguely remember party lines (for the dial phones?).

And did anyone see the night Buddy baked and decorated a cake using the Easy Bake oven? It is still in style.....

My mother was the telephone operator for our town (like Earnestine from Laugh-In). The "office" was in the front room of our house icon_lol.gif

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #125 of 173

cownsj, yep baseball cards in the spokes of my hot purple bike with the sparkly BANANA seat thumbs_up.gif

And how about these HOT FLASHES. I mean really, the beard, the hotflashes; I'm turning into a man and I'm sweating my balls off icon_cry.gif

nannie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #126 of 173

well for Doug's sake let's not even discuss how certain womanly products have changed over the years ... icon_razz.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #127 of 173
Quote:

well for Doug's sake let's not even discuss how certain womanly products have changed over the years ... icon_razz.gif

hehheheh i remember there use to be special paper bags at the chemist to put them in so the packagaing couldnt be read thru the paper so not to offend!

cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:05am
post #128 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

cownsj, yep baseball cards in the spokes of my hot purple bike with the sparkly BANANA seat thumbs_up.gif

And how about these HOT FLASHES. I mean really, the beard, the hotflashes; I'm turning into a man and I'm sweating my balls off icon_cry.gif

ROFLAO. You aren't kidding. Of course, I saved a ton on heating oil this year. I kept the thermostat set at 60 and still would get too hot.... And my poor hubby is freezing at anything below 70, so it's been a very cold winter for him.

I think it's funny when I see kids now wearing bell bottoms and trying to act like they are from the 60's. They'll never get there. There was a certain "attitude" we had then, had to do with the war, peace and love.... a way of life that made you wear your bells and psychadelic clothes the way we did.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:06am
post #129 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! don't remind me of that monstrosity my mom put in our house!

Quote:

Remember when guys wouldn't be caught dead blow drying their hair or wearing pink?

or during the 70s when guys DID blow dry (and try to look like Travolta -- stayin' alive!)

cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:06am
post #130 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

Quote:

hehheheh i remember there use to be special paper bags at the chemist to put them in so the packagaing couldnt be read thru the paper so not to offend!

Do you remember the commercials for Tampax tampons? Just remove the outter wrap and all signs of name disappear. No one will ever know what you have..... LOL And we believed it. icon_lol.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #131 of 173
Quote:

OH PUHLEEZE ----

worked in a DRUG store -- stocked that stuff!!!!

can't -- oh, so can't embarrass me!

now why in heaven's name would any woman need a champagne scented product????? (never, ever understood that! --)

cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #132 of 173

I DON'T WANNA GO TO BED! I want to stay and play on this thread all night long. But sadly I have to get up early tomorrow, then finish the cake I've been working on today.

Can we keep playing in here tomorrow? Please? Please?

globalgatherings Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #133 of 173

Nannie, I'm so glad you posted that picture of you n your brother. Every time I try n tell my 21 year old I had cooties, she thinks I had an STD icon_lol.gif Now I can show her what cooties really look like.

Such a precious picture of you n your brother thumbs_up.gif brings back great memories

nannie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:11am
post #134 of 173

me too,

must sleep.

I look forward to more with my morning coffee.

cownsj. I like you signature. .. words to live by

Bakingangel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #135 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! don't remind me of that monstrosity my mom put in our house!

Doug, I agree! It was horrible! The next year we were back to green!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:37am
post #136 of 173

OOOOOh Paul! Yes, he's still a hottie! Well, maybe lukewarm, hehehe! Just remembered Paul & Paula, Sonny & Cher, Jan & Dean, Simon & Garfunkle, Donnie & Marie, Ike & Tina, Roy & Dale (Rogers & Evans), Gidget & Moondoggie (my favs) Annette & Frankie at the Boobie Bungalow! Help me........I can't stop! I even remember the days when there was NO FONDANT! My goodness, how did we ever make a cake in the olden days, hehehe! icon_smile.gif Yall keep it going, I luv this stuff.

Bakingangel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #137 of 173
Quote:

me too,

must sleep.

I look forward to more with my morning coffee.

cownsj. I like you signature. .. words to live by

Nannie, the only way this will work is if we all agree to go to sleep right now otherwise this thread will grow like "The Blob" (old terror movie) and there will be volumes to read just to catch up!!!! icon_eek.gif lol

Bakingangel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:17am
post #138 of 173

Ssssh! It's been about 20 minutes and no posts. Maybe they're all sleeping..I knew the idea of spending an hour in the morning reading to catch up would work! icon_lol.gif

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #139 of 173

Love this thread.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:24am
post #140 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Not to forget drive-in movies.

I worked at one when I was 14. My mom managed the concession stand. I would frequently start at one (indoor) theater at 10:00 in the morning; rotate to another theater in the afternoon, then work the drive-in theater that night.

It was the R and X rated movie theater. (So yes, that does explain some of my "warped" 'ness!!!) icon_rolleyes.gif Working at the X rated movie theater made it "not so fun" for my teen years dates.

"You want to impress me with WHAT? Oh please! I see 27 of those on the big screen every weekend! Let me emphasize .... BIG screen!" icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:25am
post #141 of 173
Quote:

That was Tyra's show today!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:14am
post #142 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanikins

Went to visit my hubby's oldest sis a couple of years ago and her kids were AMAZED that you could make popcorn in a pot on the stove.

You mean you DON'T NEED a MICROWAVE?!?!?!?! icon_eek.gif

I showed my kids this "trick" about a year ago. My oldest son thought I was the coolest person on the planet.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:58pm
post #143 of 173

I remember my mom heating up leftovers in little metal pans in her toaster oven. We got our first microwave when I was like 9 or something.... that old beast lasted a long time too!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #144 of 173

Woke up so early this morning just to check to see if this monster was still alive!!! Okay, so by now it has nothing to do with baking and I can't imagine a way to get it back on track... so - who cares? This has been a blast... Remember those commercials that told us that "good mothers" gave their kids food with lots of "energy" (sugar) promoting candy/Twinkies, etc.?

globalgatherings Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:52pm
post #145 of 173
Quote:

Ssssh! It's been about 20 minutes and no posts. Maybe they're all sleeping..I knew the idea of spending an hour in the morning reading to catch up would work! icon_lol.gif

Hahaha, too funny, were all too old to stay up past 10p.m. Well most of us anyway. icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #146 of 173

When I was in the dating group (and was a cougar for a bit for fun) I'd judge the age of the person by asking them if they knew who H.R. Puffinstuff was or "magic flute".

I hated dolls but I had a Dancerina, anyone remember that? I also got the easy bake oven and loved it, who knew you could cook with a light bulb but I did burn my fingers a few times on the pans.

No remote control here either us kids did the channel changing.

I remember wood floors in the dime store and getting a "coke with orange" at the soda fountain. Getting hamburgs for 10 for $1.00.

A few things I remember
Dancerina
Klackers
Polly Pocket
Pogo Sticks
This thing that you hook around your leg and skip over it with the other one.
Hula Hoops
Mystery Date
Paint by numbers (always crafty)
Black velvet painting by numbers
Chemistry sets
John Denver
Barbie clothes patterns
Maxi Dreses
Midi Dresses
Baggies (pants)
Halter tops
Overall dresses
Calico
Wheelos
Flyback paddles
Slinkie's
Tv's were a piece of furniture and when ours went out my dad replaced the TV part with a TV that slid in it's place...weird.
I remember when the doc smoked himself in his office

We were never a beatles family we enjoyed Motown. We all danced including my dad.

My first car was a Pinto, used painted red. Got great gas mileage.

nannie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #147 of 173

JustToEatCake My mom had a pinto She sold it before it was rear-ended and blew up. icon_razz.gif

the first piece of popular music I remember was Telstar....... I still remember the tune.

and yes, I was to old to stay up any later last night and yes, I got up twice last night to pee icon_cry.gif

davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #148 of 173

[quote="cownsj"]

Quote:

oh and I was a "Paul" girl and I would have died to see the Beatles

I was (er..... am) a Paul girl myself. I'd still take him.

Ringo girl here!
My mom drove my friend and me to the bowl to see the Beatles. She waited outside and heard the whole concert scream free. Afterwards, she stood by the driveway and a limo stopped, the window rolled down a few inches, and someone stuck their hand out and waved. We heard later it was the Beatles limo icon_surprised.gif She got closer than any of us! icon_lol.gif

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #149 of 173

I'm wondering if anyone will explain the stamps to me? Why did you collect them? Did you get something for free if you had a certian amount? Someone mentioned puting them in a book, so was it regular post office stamp collecting. Help!! I'm 1976 baby.

nannie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #150 of 173

davespeg

that is so darned funny.............. if the waving hand had lots of rings, you'd know who it was

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%