Is This A Sign I'm Getting Old?

Lounge By Kitagrl Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 1:33am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 173

Okay I'm "only" 35 but I'm getting phone calls from what sounds like shy little teenage girls asking about wedding cake tastings....does this mean I must be getting old if I mistake a 23 year old woman for a little girl? Sheesh!

172 replies
floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 173

No..it took me until the age of 60 to realize that the rest of the world is getting younger...all these new babies being born and all....LOL

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 173

You are not old! I'm 23 and I still feel like a baby, haha! IMO 23 is too young to get married... I know girls who are already divorced icon_sad.gif

I think 30 is the new 20, anyway.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 173

You know you're getting old(er), when:

- You start describing everyone as a "kid"
- YOu realize you're tired because you got up so many times last night to go pee
- the first time you use the phrase "Back in MY day" ..... and you're NOT trying to be sarcastic or funny!
- It takes you a while to not walk funny when you first get out of bed, until your joints and muscles get into sync
- when people describe your furniture and decor as "Oh! So retro!"
- when you see the toys you played with as a kid in a museum (oh yeah, THAT one hurt!)
- when you're the only one in the room who was actually old enough to vote in the election between Reagan and Carter. (Heck, I've been in the situation where I was the only one who was actually ALIVE during that election!)
- Your grandchildren measure how old something is by seeing how young gramma was at the time (The TV show "The Munsters" came out when gramma was 5 years old .... wow! that is ANCIENT said my granddaughter!) ..... and you actually remember watching the show in primetime!!

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 173

Indydebi....sounds like we are the same age LOL

Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 173

What's scary is I fit some of that list Indy!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 173

oh my goodness indy! I love your list!!! icon_smile.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You know you're getting old(er), when:

- You start describing everyone as a "kid"
- YOu realize you're tired because you got up so many times last night to go pee
- the first time you use the phrase "Back in MY day" ..... and you're NOT trying to be sarcastic or funny!
- It takes you a while to not walk funny when you first get out of bed, until your joints and muscles get into sync
- when people describe your furniture and decor as "Oh! So retro!"
- when you see the toys you played with as a kid in a museum (oh yeah, THAT one hurt!)
- when you're the only one in the room who was actually old enough to vote in the election between Reagan and Carter. (Heck, I've been in the situation where I was the only one who was actually ALIVE during that election!)- Your grandchildren measure how old something is by seeing how young gramma was at the time (The TV show "The Munsters" came out when gramma was 5 years old .... wow! that is ANCIENT said my granddaughter!) ..... and you actually remember watching the show in primetime!!

I was born the day that they announced Reagan had won that election. icon_lol.gif

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 173

Or when they announce some golden oldies on the radio and not only do you know them you know all the words!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 173

I am only 31 and got married at 22 but I too look at some of my brides and they look like babies to me. My DH and I have our 9 year anniversary in June.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 173

Yup, I "get" ALL of Indy's list! Does anyone else remember begging (and I mean BEGGING) for the first "easy bake oven"? That and a "Chatty Cathy" doll - I swore to my parents I would never ask for another thing as long as I lived.... hmmm, good thing I didn't get those since I certainly asked for more stuff later. The OP is only 35 - oh, Honey, the best part is yet to come! No joke.

Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Yup, I "get" ALL of Indy's list! Does anyone else remember begging (and I mean BEGGING) for the first "easy bake oven"? That and a "Chatty Cathy" doll - I swore to my parents I would never ask for another thing as long as I lived.... hmmm, good thing I didn't get those since I certainly asked for more stuff later. The OP is only 35 - oh, Honey, the best part is yet to come! No joke.

Hey now I had a Chatty Cathy and wanted an easy bake oven! Didn't want the chatty cathy and they got it for me anyway and I hated it. haha. But they wouldn't get me the oven!

I loved fashion plates and cabbage patch dolls (although I was sneaking up on "too old" for those but I got a few anyway) and kissing Barbie!!!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 173

OH my Indydebi- I'm only 32 (almost 33) but I so fit many on that list, especially the peeing part. LOL .

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #14 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

Hey now I had a Chatty Cathy and wanted an easy bake oven! Didn't want the chatty cathy and they got it for me anyway and I hated it. haha. But they wouldn't get me the oven!

I loved fashion plates and cabbage patch dolls (although I was sneaking up on "too old" for those but I got a few anyway) and kissing Barbie!!!

Fashion plates? "Kissing Barbie"!? Why you are a mere infant. I actually got the original Mr. Potato Head which did not come with aforementioned Potato Head, it was a box with all his little accesories (glasses, nose, eyes, etc.) but you had to supply your own potato! Again, no joke folks, that's how it was and now I will go listen to some golden oldies and sit in my rocker ....

Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 173
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

Fashion plates? "Kissing Barbie"!? Why you are a mere infant. I actually got the original Mr. Potato Head which did not come with aforementioned Potato Head, it was a box with all his little accesories (glasses, nose, eyes, etc.) but you had to supply your own potato! Again, no joke folks, that's how it was and now I will go listen to some golden oldies and sit in my rocker ....

My mom told me about that!!!! haha.

Yeah I'm a 1975 "baby" who thinks all these whippersnappers calling me for wedding cakes are WAY too young. haha. (Even though I got married at age 21 and have been married 13 years now!)

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #16 of 173

Wow...I was buying Fashion Plates for MY kids...some of us really ARE old![/quote]

Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:44pm
post #17 of 173

Hahaha.

Fashion plates were the best...they totally should bring those back. Although nowadays they'd probably be pretty scary.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:54pm
post #18 of 173

I miss the Mystery Date game icon_smile.gif I just celebrated my 46th birthday on Sunday. Teaching kids to dance all these years keeps me young! My honey bunny is 49 almost 50, but he can still break it down with the best of them! Should have seen him on stage with his protege student a couple of weeks ago. They brought the house down with "How Low Can You Go", a hip hop routine!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:09pm
post #19 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I miss the Mystery Date game icon_smile.gif I just celebrated my 46th birthday on Sunday. Teaching kids to dance all these years keeps me young! My honey bunny is 49 almost 50, but he can still break it down with the best of them! Should have seen him on stage with his protege student a couple of weeks ago. They brought the house down with "How Low Can You Go", a hip hop routine!

Cakesdivine, you're a week younger than I am. I remember I wanted a Mystery Date game when I was six or seven (I had older cousins) & my parents thought I was too young for it. I bought it at a garage sale from the girl up the street whose parents took it away from her because she was playing it all the time and not studying. I think I played that thing for about a month solid and then sold it a few years later. I wish I had held on to it. I was a bit too old for the Cabbage Patch kids when they came out but my brother worked at Target while in college in Evansville and was able to put two back for me during the chaos that was the Cabbage Patch kid craze. On his way home from school on the plane he had three people offer him lots of money for just one of them but I got them. Now he says he wished he would have taken that money.

indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #20 of 173

YES on the Mr. Potato Head! We even begged our mom to be sure to buy the BIG potatoes!

Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #21 of 173

I wish I kept all my old toys and could sell them now! My sister had a couple original my little ponies...and I had that original Little People (wooden) Sesame street set.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #22 of 173

Hey now, Im 29, but I apparently sound 12 on the phone. Irratates me when my daughters school calls my cell during the day while they are both at school & ask if they can talk to the mommy.

Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #23 of 173

I don't know what's worse...that or people thinking that my 9 year old son is ME on the phone....

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #24 of 173

Yup I'm in this group too!
It hit me in my early 40's (ill be 47 next month) and I started longing for the good ol' days.
When I was kid we could play outside without too much adult supervision, kids were much better behaved, repsected authority. I remember bradlees and kings (which have since been replaced by walmart and target) I remember when the mall was built.
I also remember when me and my siblings were given 10.00 to buy xmas gifts for the family. And they were pretty decent gifts! Hey I also remember when you could go to mcdonalds with one or two dollars and get a complete meal.
I guess I miss the simplicity life was back then!
In my family we tend to have our kids young, so the only good thing is that when I'm with my grandaughter people automatically mistake me for her mom. I take that as a compliment! Since I think both my daughter and grandaughter are beautiful!
But inside I'm feeling like...87!!
That's for letting me reminise!

indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #25 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Hey now, Im 29, but I apparently sound 12 on the phone. Irratates me when my daughters school calls my cell during the day while they are both at school & ask if they can talk to the mommy.

my sister has a really deep voice and she is always being asked "can I speak to the lady of the house?" icon_lol.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm
post #26 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

I'm 46 & got that this morning from my daughter's school. The school nurse asked "Is your mommy home?". I said "No, my mommy is in FL with my daddy. I'm the mommy in this house, what is wrong?". She about died.

I wished I had kept some of my toys too but I do have Partridge Family albums at my parent's house.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm
post #27 of 173

I have old Donny Osmond albums and The Osmond Brother's albums somewhere still. Nothing to play them on, and they are probably scratched beyond recognition at this point. I think they are in my mom's attic.

Oh and I was a BIG Jack Wild fan. I would watch HR Puff N'Stuff every Saturday just to see that hottie!

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #28 of 173

Looking forward to the big 51 this summer and I so miss The Munsters and The Adams Family. They used to play back to back. Gosh Indy, you brought back memories with that one.

The great thing about being in your fifties is you just don't care anymore about plucking those straggly black hairs growing out of your chin. I mean, it's just to hard to try and maintain all this. I'm goin for the full beard look icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #29 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

The great thing about being in your fifties is you just don't care anymore about plucking those straggly black hairs growing out of your chin. I mean, it's just to hard to try and maintain all this. I'm goin for the full beard look icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

A nice surprise, though, was discovering I dont' have to shave my legs anymore. I have no hair growing on my legs! Haven't shaved them in years and they are baby-butt smooth!

Course I have to pluck a hair or two that pop out on my boobs once in awhile. How come no one warned me about THOSE little buggers!? And I do shave my upper lip about once a week (or my teenager yells at me!). icon_rolleyes.gif

My philosophy now is, "I'm old, I"m fat, I'm married ... what do I care?" icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #30 of 173

Kitagirl, my oldest daughte was born in 1976! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%