What Pudding Compliments Red Velvet?

Baking By Bklyn_Babie Updated 10 May 2016 , 1:09am by dan412ham

Bklyn_Babie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making 2 full size sheet cakes. I'm planning to use box mix because I've had some horrible red food dye staining incidents in the past I'd really LOVE to avoid.

I've done a tad bit of reading up, and it seems like adding extra eggs and pudding mix (that compliments the flavor of the cake) seem to be the way to go.

Now the question is: What flavor pudding would compliment Red Velvet Cake?

I've heard that red velvet cake is pretty much a white chocolate cake with red food dye. Is that true? Personally I think it just tastes lovely, as do pretty much all cakes *giggle*

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

10 replies
mamawrobin Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 11

I use chocolate.

Win Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 11

I'd recommend using Jell-o brand White Chocolate pudding. It's not always easy to find, my Walmart Neighborhood does not carry it, but the larger Walmart does and I can always find it at Meijer.

Bklyn_Babie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 11

oh snap~ thats brilliant! white chocolate! i was unaware that they made a white chocolate pudding. i was thinking of using chocolate pudding, but wont that dark brown color mess up the bright red for the cake?

white chocolate. hmmmm. so smart! =)

Win Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn_Babie

oh snap~ thats brilliant! white chocolate! i was unaware that they made a white chocolate pudding. i was thinking of using chocolate pudding, but wont that dark brown color mess up the bright red for the cake?

white chocolate. hmmmm. so smart! =)

Indeed... red velvet made from scratch only uses a small amount of cocoa added to the ingredients. Now, here in the South, we also have a cake called Red Devil's Food which is similar to the Red Velvet and often confused for it... however, it is truly a deep chocolate cake with red coloring added and looks deep chocolate with red coloring added. HTH!

MrsPound Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 11

okay, question...

How do you use the instant jello pudding. I assume you add the dry mix pudding to the dry mix cake mix then make as usual... do you add anything different????

I'm making mine tomorrow and just don't see how to do it! thanks!!

TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 11

I use chocolate pudding.

You mix it in dry, with the cake mix. I just use what the box calls for, plus the pudding and an additional egg.

Bklyn_Babie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 11

oh thats a good question i didnt think to ask. thanks kim!

KHalstead Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 11

I made red velvet (duncan hines brand) w/ chocolate pudding added and the cake came out a dark maroon instead of the bright, vibrant red. I have used vanilla pudding and cheesecake pudding and white chocolate pudding as well, with no affect (that I could see) to the color/flavor of the red velvet

HTH

sheena Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 11

Is there a scratch recipe for pudding mix? I don't think I get pudding mix in my country icon_sad.gif

dan412ham Posted 10 May 2016 , 1:09am
post #11 of 11

You can use google to find a recipe on making homemade pudding.  Also I would use vanilla pudding mix in a red velvet cake that way it will not tamper with the color.... add your cocoa as directed,  Also add extra egg yolks not the whole eggs and the reason for this is because egg whites dry out your cake if there is to much in your cake mix

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%