I Can't Believe I've Been Doing It For A Year!

Decorating By Rylan Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm by cammyblake1

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 18

In two days, it will be my 1 year anniversary of cake decorating! I can't believe it! I know I sound like I'm overacting but I love cake decorating so much. A year from now, I couldn't even cover a cake in fondant (it was one of the worst day of my life). I was even having a hard time rolling my fondant in the right shape. Gosh, never in my life did I expect to decorate cakes.

I really want to thank the administrators, moderators and all my buddies here on Cake Central. I don't think I can make it without all of you. Cake Central was a huge impact in my life. I wouldn't be able to have this little knowledge that I have accumulated without all of you. THANK YOU!

My next ambitious stop is Tulsa, Oklahoma. I have finally decided on joining the Wedding Cake Competition at The Sugar Art Show (18 hour drive). Although I already know that I don't have any chances of winning, I'll just go for the experience and pursuing my dream of attending it (It's been a year long dream).

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE who make Cake Central a wonderful place. I could have never done anything without all of you. THANK YOU, THANK YOU and THANK YOU!

17 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 18

Rylan - Your work is always amazing, it is obvious you have a natural talent for cake decorating. I absolutely think you have a chance at OSSAS - your work is always so clean and beautiful. You are a huge talent here and have shared so much with the rest of us - you are very much appreciated for all you do! icon_smile.gif {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}} and good luck in Oklahoma!!

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 18

Ditto what Loucinda says! Rylan, you are an inspiration to the rest of us! Congratulations on your one year anniversary and good luck at the show!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 18

We are all in agreement that you have the talent for the big cake shows. We consider you among the top decorators. Good luck and have fun!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 18

I don't think you'll have a problem AT ALL in the competition! Your work is amazing!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 18

Congratulations!

I also consider you one of the top decorators here...your work is always something special icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 18

Can you just imagine if you had never realized your talent?? What a waste that would have been.........you are truly a "cake artist" and a natural at that!! Hard to believe it's only been a year. You're a cake prodigy!! lol

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 18

WOW!!! Yours is such an awesome story, Rylan ~~ that, before you'd even been decorating for a year, you got a photo in the premier issue of CC magazine AND won best of show in a major competition!!!! Onward and upward to the big one in OK. Have a great time, and we're all pulling for you thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 18

Rylan, It has taken some people many years to achieve the kind of talent you naturally have...take it and do great things!!! I'm sure you will do great at the next show!!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 18

Rylan,

Congratulations! I also have been doing cake decorating for a year (March 4th) and how I wish that I could do the kind of cakes that you do. You definitely have the gift and your cakes are beautiful from the first one you posted to the one that was featured in CC magazine.

I want to thank you for commenting on some of my cakes and for the compliments you gave me - coming from you it meant a lot to me.

Don't be so sure that you won't win in Tulsa! Remember that if you already think that you won't win then you go into this defeated - you need to think that you are going to win and you know you are good and believe in yourself that you are a winner and you will WIN! The mind is a powerful thing. Good Luck Rylan and be sure and let us know what happens and let us see the cake that you enter.

Are you familiar with the book by Dr. Wayne Dyer "The Shift"?

Barb

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 18

I've been doing it a year now too and my cakes don't look anything like yours! I'm in the middle of making one for my son. Sadly, I don't think it's going to match the picture in my head! Grrrrrr. If only I had more time to devote to making the cake! I'm so so slow!

Well done Rylan - you have some stunning pieces. I can't begin to imagine what your work will be like in 10 years time when you've come this far in one!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:00am
post #12 of 18

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the kind words everyone ((((((HUGS)))). The days really go fast, a year ago I was just asking indydebi how to make buttercream, hehe. Like I said, I could have never done it without all of you! You are all awesome, motivating and generous with your knowledge.

As for the OSSAS (wedding cake competition), I feel like I don't have enough experience--plus most of the participants there are master decorators, which is really intimidating.

Barb and Melnick, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to both of you too! Barb, I haven't read the book but I have seen it before. I should take a look next time.

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 18

Congratulations and good luck! You'll do great. You obviously have that natural artistic ability! Your work is fantastic!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 18

Congratulations and best wishes as you prepare for Okalahoma!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:04pm
post #15 of 18

Oh Rylan if you hadn't posted this, I thought you had been decorating for years. I agree with the others definitely natural talent along with hard work I am sure.

Do you own a bakery or work for a bakery? I just always thought that you did!!

Congrats and good luck in Tulsa, you def have a shot!!!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #16 of 18

Wow Rylan, one year, it is so amazing how far you have come. I guess when you really love something, and are so eager to learn, anything is possible. Congrats on your one year anniversary, you have always been so kind to me, and so helpful, and just want to say how I appreciate it, and I love your cakes.

Chickycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chickycakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:51pm
post #17 of 18

I don't believe it either! You're so awesome Rylan. I love you. You're the best. No one compares!

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #18 of 18

Yes-your designs based on Ron Ben Israels fabulous work is quite well. Can't wait to see what original stuff you come up with in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%