Black Icing?

Baking By chellebaker1 Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 4:23am by dguerrant

chellebaker1 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know how to make black icing without it tasting awful??? Every time i've made it, it's just terrible!!! Help!

7 replies
Rebealuvsweets Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 8

I think I have heard people say start out with chocolate icing...I have never tried it yet though...

Lyns082608 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 8

I've done it starting out with chocolate icing, or just use Americolor gel drops. Doesnt take much coloring at all. icon_smile.gif

chellebaker1 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #4 of 8

I've tried starting out with chocolate icing today and I still had to add a bunch coloring.... I've been using the wilton icing dye.... but I will definitely try the americolor. WHere can I get that exactly??

Christen99 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 8

I have done it two different ways, I've used chocolate buttercream and colored it black for a true black and I've used regular white buttercream. I use Americolor gels and the color is darker and takes much less with this brand. When I've used white buttercream, the color is slightly light but will darken after a short while.

I've also used Wilton in the past, and it's great if you want gray buttercream.

Lyns082608 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #6 of 8

Once you use Americolor, you'll be hooked! I dont like Wilton at all for black coloring. Just google it, there are several places that sell it.

chellebaker1 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:19am
post #7 of 8

awesome! Thank you!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dguerrant Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:23am
post #8 of 8

I hate to say it, but if I'm using it for details, not covering the whole cake, I use canned fudge frosting, it is so dark and doesn't take much color, and definately tastes better that the flavor of black food color gel. lots of luckicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%