How Do I Make A Tree???

Decorating By sugarlovemom Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm by TJCanadian

sugarlovemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlovemom Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:33am
post #1 of 13

Hi! i need to make a cake for next week and i need to have a tree on it... the tree is not the main character of the cake but still im afraid it might fall... i've been reading some posts that talk about a support and some people got it at lowes... how does it work? what are my options? im new on this.... please heeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

12 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #2 of 13

what type of tree are you talking about? Palm tree , cherry blossom, etc. Maybe someone can help a lil bit more, just give us some more info.

Is it a specific theme?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 13

First....Welcome to CC......you will love it here.........IT'S ADDICTING........ OK...What kinda of tree do you need?

sugarlovemom Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:03am
post #4 of 13

you people r awesome!!!! and fast!!! wow!!! thanks for the help!!! its a small tree like forest tree... its actually gonna be like a barney cake but a want to create kind of a backyard and i thought about putting a tree...

terrylee Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:23am
post #5 of 13

If you have the time to let a piece dry.....you can make it from fondant or a fondant gumpaste 50/50 mix.....take a dowel, long enough to insert into the cake and tall enough for your tree.....make a rice crispy treat ball,about 1 1/2 - 2 inches, and wrap it around the top 1/3 of the dowel, into a ball shape.....cover the middle the dowel with brown fondant for the trunk and cover the top of the tree with green fondant or use a star tip and cover with icing......

another easy tree is a sugar cone upside down on the cake and cover with green icing and a leaf tip...pulling out the icing to look like a tree. The cone tree should be real sturdy for travel. You can always insert the tree after you reach your destination if you need to move it....otherwise it should stand fine. Hope this helps.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #6 of 13

I made a very tall tree on a sheet cake before. I used dowels and wire, and a piece of foamcore board. I made a hole in the middle of the foamcore and put a single dowel through it, then added others around it on top of the foamcore and taped them together with floral tape. Then I added wire for branches, covered with floral tape and then covered the whole thing with brown fondant. When I put the tree on the cake, I put four straws into the cake like supports for a tier, and then the dowel that was sticking through the bottom of the foamcore went into the cake and the foamcore rested on the straws.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #7 of 13

OR you could take a cone wih some green royal icing added to some Asian fried noodles or even "oddles of noodles" in the cup crunched up or corn flakes to give the tree a textural look. I dont know how big of a tree you need though........

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #8 of 13

texas rose thats so cute

terrylee Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #9 of 13

Texas Rose.....that's such a cute cake.....love your tree....it is hard to describe what to do....a picture is a thousand words....great job.

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #10 of 13

I made a tree for my winnie the pooh cake. It was a fat tree because it had to house Winnie the Pooh! I stacked round cakes to form the base and then used rice krispie treats for the leaves. I put a very thin layer of buttercream on the RKT so that it would maintain a bumpy look. I then drive two wooden dowels through the whole thing to keep it upright. I added branches by forming fondant around wooden skewers and putting a rice krispie tree cap on top. It survived a 2 hour drive! Hope this helps!
LL

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:22am
post #11 of 13

depending on the size, I like grape vine trees.
Take a bunch of grapes,
eat them.

Dip the branches in melted chocolate
roll the whole thing in rice crispy treats that you sprayed with green water out of a spray bottle. (food coloring in the water, just dont let it get too wet)

hang upside down and let dry
insert in cake.

I have pics of the cake on my blog, but they are not hosted anywhere online other than facebook. It was right before Christmas when he made it, so it would be easy to find if you wanted to look- I'd post them, but honestly, its late, and I'm tired.. icon_sad.gif plus dial up makes it hard.. icon_sad.gif sorry icon_sad.gif

sugarlovemom Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:13am
post #12 of 13

thank u very much you all!!! i got a bit of any idea u guys gave me and hopefully ill make it!!!! thanks a lot again!!!

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #13 of 13

If you are talking about 2-3 inch tall trees and want spruce like trees, just use a green 'cone' of fondant and go around it with the tips of scissors and cut little branches up. Go around in rows but stagger them layer to layer. (sounds kind of confusing but do you understand?)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%