Chocolate Icing

Baking By CaKKes Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 8:32am by JanH

CaKKes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #1 of 6

I am in need of a chocolate icing that is easy to use for piping. The girl I am doing it for would prefer not to use buttercream but I have never piped with anything else. I am doing a basketweave cake. Any suggestions?

5 replies
retaunton Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:54am
post #2 of 6

Whenever I needed a chocolate icing I just added dark cocoa powder to my buttercream recipe. Depending on what I needed to pipe I added extra water or milk (a little at a time) to get the consistency I need.

johndavid Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:49am
post #3 of 6

i too do the same.. all d best.. if you have some new ideas plz share here..

sweettreat101 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:53am
post #4 of 6

Toba Garretts chocolate frosting recipe is the best. It is a combination of butter cream and ganache. If she doesn't want butter cream you could purchase a product called Bettercreme or Frostin Pride. They sell it in the bakery at Sams Club or a store called Smart and Final. Whips up like cream. You just have to be care and not over beat the frosting because it can get stiff really fast.

sweettreat101 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:56am
post #5 of 6

Here is the recipe. I don't add the meringue powder though and it still works fine. 2 cups butter room temp 1/2 cup crisco 3 lbs powdered sugar 1 cup dutch cocoa ( Droste) 3 T meringue powder 1 t salt 5 oz chocolate liquer (opptional) 2 T milk 1 T pure vanilla 2 cups refrigerated Ganache

JanH Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:32am
post #6 of 6

Here's a link to Toba Garrett's Chocolate b/c recipe:

Quote by @%username% on %date%