Making Pastel/light Colored Airbrush

Decorating By laurascakedesign Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm by prterrell

laurascakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurascakedesign Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #1 of 10

Ok, I've searched the forum, and I can't seem to find anything on making airbrush colors lighter. Obviously, it's not like icing where you can "dilute" your color with plain stuff, so if I need a pastel color, is there a way of doing it without buying gobs more colors? A thinner base you can add to any color, or something of that nature???

9 replies
Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:30am
post #2 of 10

I do not have an answer, but have wondering how to make colors lighter too. Mayb adding white to any color?

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #3 of 10

You can use white airbrush color or pearl airbrush color mixed with the color. It is best to mix it in a seperate container and do a test spray.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:22am
post #4 of 10

I also find that when mixing it put mainly white or pearl in and tehn add your other color a drop at a time until you reach the shade you want. If you try adding white to your color you will be going through a lot of waste.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:29am
post #5 of 10

I haven't found any pastel colors... so I've just mixed my own with adding white.... I agree with Jennifer, just be sure to do a test spray first lol... Also once you get the color you want, be sure to remember how much of each you added lol... I've gotten it to the right color before then thought...dang...I can't remember how much I added to get this color lol

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:25am
post #6 of 10

start with white and get an eye dropper. add one drop at a time until you reach the color you want. Make sure you take notes so that the next time you need to make...say pastel green you know the ratio needed. It really saves time !!!
Good Luck.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:02am
post #7 of 10

Have you tried diluting with vodka? It won't really give you pastels, I guess, but it will give you a more translucent version of the color you are using. Vodka, white, and the color, that may work.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 10

Someone on here told me to dilute with water. I tried a blue and it was too dark so added some water and it came out a much lighter shade but think its all kind of hit and miss!

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 10

I have to do a light blue cake for next weekend and am trying to avoid a long drive to the cake supply to buy the white airbrush color. Can I use Wilton's white icing color to mix into my blue airbrush color?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 10

To airbrush a lighter color, just don't spray full force. Regulate the airflow and you regulate the color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%