Do You Share Your Recipes

Decorating By Kibosh Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 11:20am by Kibosh

Kibosh Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 7

I recently started make cakes and although I have not officially started up a company, I do hope to one day soon in the future. Well here's my problem. I made a couple of cakes for a family members birthday party and now I have another relative asking for the recipes for my icing and fillings to both cakes. On one hand, I'm not in business and I only do it for free so it's not like I'm an actual company yet. On the other hand, we live in the same town and what if I do open up shop, I would hate to know that she has my cake details. How would you handle this situation? Am I being petty or just cautious? HELP!!!

6 replies
cricket0616 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 7

I think many of us have walked into similar situations. Most of the time, I tell them that I was given the recipe by a friend or family member and promised not to give it out. Other times, I politely tell them that I appreciate that they enjoy the recipe so much as to ask for it, however this is one that I am keeping a secret. I haven't had anyone yet seem offended.

aej6 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #3 of 7

I just smile and say "Sorry, can't tell ya!" a teasing way....I had one person respond sarcastically "OK, Martha Stewart!" and I just kept smiling and walked away.

artscallion Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #4 of 7

I tell them they'll have to wait until I write my book.

Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:33am
post #5 of 7

Nope I keep several of mine secret. I have given them to a few friends who are in a whole different state far away. I did give one to someone on this site recently because I felt bad and I hope they will keep my secret. haha. (You know who you are!!!!)

Although the ironic thing is that I gave a recipe to my stepmom who lives across the country, because she liked the cake I made at Christmas...but then she came to Philly to see some of her relatives (not ME of course...seriously) and she made MY cake for them in Philly!!!! I'm like "why didn't you just ask me to do it for you?" and she said "Oh well, I already bought all the stuff." (She bought it in her state and carried the ingredients on the airplane, to come to MY area and make MY cake for her family. Whatever! haha)

Lyndseyb52 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:00am
post #6 of 7

I wouldn't feel bad about keeping your recipes secret, especially if you hope to start a business...but I'd do it in a jokey way so they can't say you were being mean.

It's great to share recipes on here with people who live so far away but in the same town I'd keep it zipped hehe

Lyndsey xx

Kibosh Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:20am
post #7 of 7

Thanks guys. I don't think I would have had this much trouble had it been a non-family member. These are great tips which I plan to use if I ever get asked again. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%