Fondant Grass For Golf Theme

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm by TJCanadian

cakesrock Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 7

The bottom tier of my cake is a golfing theme and I want to do golf ball silhouettes (with cookie cutter) and a grass border. How do I do grass in fondant? I really don't want to cut each strand. Would an extruder be the way to go maybe? Or would that look too thin? This is the bottom (10 inch tier). The golf balls are 2 inches in diameter.
TIA!

6 replies
Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 7

I have a clay texturing tool and I cannot for the life of me remember what its called...but its like a wooden handle and has like copper "bristles" and then you scrape/pick at the surface of the fondant and it roughs the surface, really great for fur or grass or anything you need to look "rough"...maybe try that? Someone might be able to help with the name...

drwendy Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 7

why not just use buttercream and a grass tip? I'm not sure what kind of look you're going for, but it can cover a large area pretty fast and looks good. If you need to use fondant, you might try rolling it out and then pressing it through a mandolin (the string harp-looking thing you use to make linguini).

LeckieAnne Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #4 of 7

I asked someone once how they made the "fur" on some sesame street cupcakes. She had used a cheese grater to "grate" some fondant. Then she just stuck the grated pieces onto the fondant covered cupcakes. They were adorable - and I think it would work for this too.

AppaloosaCakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #5 of 7

The cake sounds awesome! this is just a suggestion but if it was me I would cover the whole bottom in green fondant, then take a pair of clean scissors and cut cut cut! Just use the very end of the scissors and snip little pieces of the fondant that you put on the cake. pretty soon you will have 3D grass sticking up from your cake! icon_smile.gif

jayne1873 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 7

I have used the extruder, the tip bit with lots of holes, squeeze some out chop it off, clump og grass

TJCanadian Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 7

If you don't have an extruder, just use a garlic press. I use mine for hair and grass all the time. make sure the fondant is soft and pliable (with a little shortening) and press through and cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%