Cookie Decorating Session For Senior Citizens?

Baking By Anna31 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 4:13am by Sara789

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 6

Hello! I am doing 3 20 minute sessions at the local middle school for the Senior Citizens in our Community. I need to come up with a design that they can do with out frosting bags. Something they can do by frosting with a plastic knife and placing candy's, mini marshmallows, chips or anything like that. I'm kind of thinking about doing round NFSC and having them do watermelons but can't think of a good way to do the rind. Any suggestions? This is my first year for doing this. Would love some help. icon_wink.gif

Thank you! Anna

5 replies
Sara789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara789 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 6

Hey, great idea and great for you doing it. I've run several card making sessions for senior citizens, but never cookies.

From that experience I suggest you have some samples for people to see as a finished product. Some of the seniors couldn't come up with things to do on their own, so they relied heavily on the finished sample or asked me at each step what to do.

Also, different kinds of sprinkles are always good. The larger shapes would probably be best since they are easier to get a hold of. Plus, easier to clean up. You can put little bowls of different types of sprinkles on the tables (I'm not sure what your set up will be).

I think having them ice with a knife and putting on chips, sprinkles, marshmallows, etc. is perfect. You'll be amazed at the different ideas people come up with (you probably already know that).

I hope this helps.

Anna31 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, I will have a cookie done up and be up in the front of the room demonstrating what to do. Gonna have about 5 peer helpers (HS students) helping them with what ever they need. I was thinking I'd use red sugar sprinkles and have spoons for them so they don't have to use their fingers. I will have little dishes set out of frosting, sprinkles, choc. chips and what ever I end up using for the rind. I talked to the lady that has done this for the last three years. I am a bit nervous because I am not a very confident public speaker. BUT, I do like "old" people. They are very sweet and this is a very good cause. So want to do a good job. I'm making 12 dozen NFSC or this and providing the frosting and my time for $100. Anyway, I thank you for your advice! I appreciate it! Good to hear from someone who has done something like this to! icon_smile.gif

Anna

Sara789 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 6

It sounds like you have a great plan and will be prepared. I think that is what will make things go smoothly. Try not to worry about the public speaking part. You have cookies! That will make you great even before you start icon_smile.gif. As long as you smile and speak clearly, things will be fine. I bet once you get to the decorating you'll be more at ease since you'll be "in your element."

Good luck, and have fun!

Anna31 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! I went shopping today and got two different shades of green M&M's and white nonpareils for the rind and red sprinkles for the fruit. I also got some mini choc. chips for the seeds. I think/hope they turn out cute! icon_smile.gif I think it will be fun for everyone. It's good to step out of one's comfort zone sometimes. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,

Anna

Sara789 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:13am
post #6 of 6

Great ideas for the watermellon parts. Take pictures. Lots of pictures! Better yet, have one of the HS students be the photographer while helping. The seniors will love showing off their artwork and it will be great to have pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%