How Do I Remove The Powdered Sugar From Fondant?

Decorating By Aedans_Cakes Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 3:36am by AppaloosaCakes

Aedans_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aedans_Cakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I have a bit of a silly question!

Last weekend, I made chocolate marshmallow fondant, and it worked just splendidly! The only problem was that after I got it all smoothed out on my cake, there was still some powerdered sugar left on the surface?
How do I remove that powdered sugar?
I ended up brusing the whole thing with water, which worked. But, it also make the surface super shiny. This time the shinyness worked out ok, but what if I want a matte finish?
Any ideas???
Thanks!

5 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 6

Use a small ball of fondant and rub over the surface of the fondant on the cake. That will usually take care of most of it. I don't use sugar on my counter any more -- I lightly spray my counter with Pam and roll out on that. It seems to absorb it, and I don't have to worry about the sugar.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 6

Rub it with a small amount of shortening

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 6

Use cornstarch instead of powdered sugar. It doesn't take as much. Then once you have the fondant rolled out as big as you need it, rub your hands over it until no cornstarch is visible, then pick it up and put it on the cake. If you have any visible cornstarch left on the cake, use a clean pastry brush to dust it off.

supermama322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermama322 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 6

I always go over my cakes with clear vanilla or almond on a pastry brush. It gets rid of all the powder and gives it a nice bright finish. It dries matte, not shiny like water. Also, it doesn't change the taste like you would think.

AppaloosaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AppaloosaCakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #6 of 6

I use either a little bit of water(like you did) which doesnt always get the best results. Or i use just a tiny bit of shortening on a paper towel. That seems to work best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%