Advice On Pricing Mini Cakes

Decorating By 2winboyz Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 9:35pm by CakeandDazzle

2winboyz Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 6

A friend has asked me to consider making mini cakes for her rehearsal dinner. I've never done these and don't want to under price which I am notorious for doing with friends. I know they are tedious and time consuming. She wants cakes to resemble the picture I've attached with a Chinese character in gold on top of each cake. They will all have a fondant ribbon or real ribbon around the bottom like the picture. How do I go about doing these? What size should they be? 2x2? Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

5 replies
CakeandDazzle Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 6

$30 bucks each... no joke! ok maybe more! i cant help you but i can tell you they are the biggest pita ive ever had to go through (and i had a kid...)

my experience 2x2 is too tall... your better with 2x1... hth at least alittle... do not under price youll be killing yourself later! it took me something like 20 hours to do 100 with all the mess ups!

2winboyz Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 6

oh sorry i meant 2x2x1 (wxlxh). $30! how long do you think it'll take to make one? thank you!

CeeTee Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 6

Mini cakes...*twitch*

How long they take depend on the size, skill of the decorator, and what you are trying to do design wise.

A couple years back I thought it would be a great idea to make a bunch of heart shaped mini-cakes for a bake sale. I only made six, but they took me about 20-30 minutes each to do. I used buttercream icing and those little buggers were HARD to ice smooth.

But those, I could maybe do in about 10 minutes for each one, but that's just for the covering and decorating. That does NOT include the baking, filling, and cutting out of each individual cake before hand. Plus you have to factor in the storage, transport, and the cardboard 'plate' for each little cake to sit on so they can be served easier.

So, consider how much its going to cost you in supplies, guestimate how much time you will need to do them (Say, 10 min per cake x number of cakes = time you need to allocate/charge for.) and how much you think your time is worth, and go from there. You could call around and see how much local bakeries are charging for them, but I've seen them go from anywhere to $10 to $30 each, depending on design and bakery.

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 6

you can't pay me enough to do these suckers! icon_eek.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 6

oh ok 2x2x1 is better.... you really need to find a good way to do them... poured fondant bites the big one... i would stick to rolled fondant i think it would be 100x easier... i would charge whatever you base pps is for fondant covered cake and add maybe a buck or two... say you charge $3.50 per serving for a fondant covered cake charge 4.50 for these??? that seems like alot though huh? idk... my suggestion would be to bake, frost & fill, freeze, cut, freeze, frost sides, freeze, cover in fondant.... hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%