armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 20

Can anyone help me with that? Any pictures, tips, etc. would be great! TIA

19 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 20

For moss, I would take a grass tip, and don't pull all the way out just put a small dab. I did that to texture the snowmans hat on my snowman cake.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 20

I googled "mossy Oak" and lots of items come up with the pattern,,, maybe Cabella's might be another site.....all the camo stuff..... mossy oak has branches and leaves, might be a bit of a challange but could be done.....good luck....post picture....that is my grandson's favorite camo pattern.

Krysten3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krysten3 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 20

I'm a total newbie but I'm familiar with the fabric. To replicate on cake, it screams airbrush to me. Not sure how else it would work. But I would airbrush different leaves and sticks , and maybe even hand paint some parts on there. HTH

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 20

I am doing a cake in camo and lace right now- literly as I type this, I have been working on my practice cake. LOL

I couldnt get it, BUT I did get a simmular pattern with just taking black, brown and dark green (only had kelly green,so I mixed in some black) and mixing it with Vodka and painting it on fondant. I painted a sorta leaf, a sorta tree branch etc. It looks more like you are looking at a mossy oak shirt through a haze..

Havent decided yet if I am going to use that, or just pipe on the 'colors' of mossy oak, but in the army camo (or OLD camo if your old enough to remember it before there was 'mossy oak' and 'realtree') pattern then flatten it with the roller. I will have to get a few more opinions on it before I present it to a client.

The lace is whats KILLING me. LOL but both are hard.

Please post some pics, I'd love to see a differnt approach! or the same approach with a good outcome icon_smile.gif

terrylee Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 20

That's sounds like the way to go......it is such a complicated pattern, but beautiful..... hand paint on the black details.....should be good.

chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 20

oh, I also made a 'grey'. because alot of the pattern is in grey. I threw in the dark green to just liven it up a little. and the 'bark' look, I got by putting on the black, then kinda pulling the brush into it and pulling up to 'scrape' off some paint. so all in all, I have 4 differnt colors. Like I said, I dont know if I like it. I'll have to let some others look at it first.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 20

oh... I guess I was confused, I thought the op just wanted moss on a tree branch or something. I feel dumb now! LOL!

chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 20

DOnt feel that way- YOu'd just have to live somwhere where hunting camo is a fashion statement. icon_smile.gif 2 of my kids came home from the hospital in it. LOL and the only reason the girl didnt is because she was a preemie and had to wear cabbage patch kid clothes! LOL

Funny thing is, some folks STILL think "ARMY CAMO" when they hear hunting camo- WAAY differnt..

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 20

Maybe you could use edible image sheets? Otherwise i think aorbrushing would be the easiest. I have one to do in May so I am interested to see what you have to come up with!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 20

Edible image seems the way to go for that.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 20

I did a cake using ediable images on the sides and cut out the letters too.
LL

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

oh... I guess I was confused, I thought the op just wanted moss on a tree branch or something. I feel dumb now! LOL!

I thought the same thing
LL

chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 20

Did you buy the edible images?? I dont have a printer that works good enough- And sure couldnt afford the ink to put in it. LOL

terrylee Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:42am
post #15 of 20

I get my done at a local cake decorating supply company......about $15.00 for an 8/10......come out pretty good....have a cake in my photos, round blue with a young ladys picture on it.......

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #16 of 20

Well, I was thinking airbrush as well would be the best way. Problem is, I do not own one of those! HOWEVER, since I didn't know exactly what mossy oak was, I sent her a few pictures with hunting camo on them. Turns out she really liked one of them and that's what she decided to order. WHEW!!! icon_smile.gif Thanks for all of your help CCr's. Hopefully one day I'll own an airbrush and not have to worry. icon_rolleyes.gif Chellebyerly, can't wait to see what yours looks like!!!

chellescountrycakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 20

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

Funny thing is, some folks STILL think "ARMY CAMO" when they hear hunting camo- WAAY differnt..

I made that mistake today icon_redface.gif But I guess i'm always learning something new!

chellebyerly, the cake looks amazing! The painting looks perfect (now that I actually know what hunting camo looks like! icon_razz.gif )

chellescountrycakes Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:48am
post #19 of 20

ChoueiriCakeCo,
Hey, dont feel bad, I wouldnt know a jimmy choo (chu...cho...?) from a vera wang--- there is always something out of our comfort zone. LOL Now, hunting, fishing, farming, or raisin farm animals- that I know icon_smile.gif OH and I can tell you the differnce between Ariats and gypsys, or wranglers and cruel girls. LOL

And Thank you- It makes me feel so good to hear people that actually KNOW what making a cake is, to say that. icon_smile.gif But the cracks DID break my heart- they were NOT there when I put the fondant on- it went on sooo pretty and perfect.. I could have cried!

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:47am
post #20 of 20

I actually didn't even notice any cracks, and I doubt anyone else will either.

It's a lovely cake, and like they say, we are our own worse critics thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%