Question About: Fondant / Gumpaste Figures

Decorating By athena24 Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 4:58pm by athena24

athena24 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 3

I am going to be making some figures to go on top of a cake. (fairly small, no bigger than about 3 inches tall, but no smaller than about 1 1/2 inches.) Should fonant or gumpaste be used? Also how far in advance can I make them? Will the colors fade if I make them too early? Thank you in advance for your help. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
marknelliesmum Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 3

Hey there
Welcome to CC thumbs_up.gif You really need to use gumpaste (technically you could just use fondant but it won't hold the detail and will not dry out in the shape you want) You can make them ahead of time - i've never had a problem with colours fading - I keep the figures from my kids birthday cakes (sad yeah i know icon_redface.gif ) and the Mario etc from July last year is still as vibrant as the day it was made. What i would say is do you have somewhere ultra safe to store them? - I use a glass cabinet that no one goes near, that way they don't get accidentally broken before I need them as fingers and other fragile bits become brittle and are very easily damaged. If it's your first time doing figures i'd say have a few practise runs as often it takes a bit of time to get used to using your modelling tools well and also getting body parts etc in proportion takes pracrtise. OK enough ranting from me!
HTH

athena24 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much Marknelliesmum for the great info.
That's not sad that you keep them. That's cool. icon_smile.gif You are too funny.
I am trying to plan for a cake I am making in June, in between two weddings. (So I will be very busy, so I was trying to figure out what I can make way in advance.)
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%