Fondant: Homemade Vs. Store Bought

Decorating By oceanslayer Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 11:22pm by Kellbella

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 10

I'm sure there's a post in here somewhere about this but dang if I can find it! I noticed that the majority of you ladies use store bought fondant versus making your own. Even Duff uses a store brand. So is homemade fondant inferior to store brand? Is it a bad idea to make your own? I'm baking cakes strictly as a hobby, but I am completely obsessed with cake decorating! I would like to make my own fondant because of the price issue but will buy it if it makes sense. Thank you in advance for your guidance and opinions!

9 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 10

I used to use Satin Ice, but it was too expensive, so I switched to Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and I absolutely LOVE it! I'm sure that you'll get tons of different opinions on this topic, but you'll just have to find out what works for you icon_wink.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 10

Actually I believe there are a lot that use store bought and a lot that use homemade. I know there are several threads on it - but it is hard to find anything on a search here icon_smile.gif. Although I think if you do a search through Google and put cake central in there is pulls up threads from this site - another ccer posted the perfect way to do it, but I didn't write it down! - silly me.

I personally make my own - even if I sold cakes I wouldn't want to pay 2-3x more for my fondant. It costs me $7-8 to make 4.5-5 lbs of fondant using Michele Foster's. I know a lot of Ccers use MMF, and some use other recipes. As far as store bought Satinice seems to be most popular here!

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 10

IMO making it yourself is sooo much cheaper! If you have a KA its so easy too. I have a 2 and 5 yr old under my feet 24-7 and its easy enough to make with them around takes around 15 min to make.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 10

Homemade tastes better but store bought is faster and more reliable... perfect every time.

I've got two little ones and I barely get enough time to work on baking and decorating... I'd rather not add in the extra time to make the fondant (especially if I need more than one batch) and wait for it to sit and be ready. And if the weather is off and my home made batch ends up not being the right consistency, then it's a whole lot of messing around to get it right again. No thanks, I'll stick with my pre-made Satin Ice! icon_smile.gif

The one time I do use homemade is if I want to use fondant on cookies, since that is pretty much the main flavor on the cookie then.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 10

I like the taste and texture of Satin Ice fondant. My first fondant cake ever was covered in Satin Ice. Over the weekend I tried out Rhonda's Ultimate MMF receipe. I used my Cuisinart Stand Mixer and it was fast and easy to do. It also is the best tasting fondant I have ever had. I rolled it out the next day and it rolled out nicely.

I will use Satin Ice if I don't have time to make Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. icon_smile.gif

Jessi83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessi83 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 10

I'm so glad you posted this - I had the same question. I love doing the cake decorating bit, and have just started working with fondant and I LOVE it. The cake place here in town only uses Satin Ice - and don't ask them any questions about what fondant to use - or say that you've used a MMF, they turn their nose up at it! They told me "Well, that stuff's okay to practice with, but you should buy some Satin Ice. MMF's too sticky". I pulled an MMF recipe off of here and had no problems with it! I think I may have to try Rhonda's Ultimate MMF that's been mentioned on here! (And I have no problems using Satin Ice - but it does seem pricey compared to how little it costs to make your own!) Happy Decorating! icon_smile.gif

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 10

I've made my own, but recently purchased my first tub of Satin Ice. I have to say you have to at least buy it and try it once, and then decide for yourself. I'm sure that there are websites that have it on sale often. I haven't decided yet if I will keep making my own or if I will always buy it. I have to say the satin ice is AMAZING!!

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all for responding! So, what I gather is, store brand does have a little bit higher quality than homemade, but for the most part people use store brand because of its convenience and consistency. I wonder if weather affects one more than the other. I think I will do what you said, liha21... buy it and try it. I bought 10 pounds of Wilton but that was before I read all the posts about how yucky it was.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 10

It is just so much more convenient to buu fondant. I have to make everything else...the cake, icing, decorations...buying it already made is one less thing I have to do thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%