My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By summersusu Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 7:15pm by ebredhawk

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 11

I have my first wedding cake to do in July and want some tips. I went to a wedding this weekend and the cake was leaning, when I cut it...I was the cake cutter....it had several supports. What would make a cake do that? I don't want that to happen to mine.

Also, do you find it better to put the cake together and travel, or put it together on site...it would be three tier, and I haven't decided on bc or MMF. What is you best advice for these things?
Thanks

10 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 11

To prevent leaning stack it like this...
http://cakecentral.com/articles/107/building-the-cake-combination-pillar-stacked-construction#comments
Chances are the dowels weren't even.
Fondant or BC is a personal decision, ie: Which are you comfortable with, which does the bride want, etc.
Good luck!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 11

Yeah, usually if a cake is leaning (don't ask me how I know) it is because of the dowels - like 7yyrt said. Basically the cake on top of the dowels needs a level surface to sit on - if your dowels aren't exactly the same height then you have a "crooked" surface.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 11

Most likely it was the dowels, to avoid cutting downs and trying to get them even I like to use what are called cake jacks you can find them on Global Sugar Art web site. They are a dowel with a screw top you can adjust as you need, for me they really work wonderfully. I always ask for them back wash and reuse. I would perfur to assemble cake at site, I very much dislike the stress of transporting and assembled cake but that is me I know some use the SPS sytem ( I think that is what it is called) Best of luck

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 11

I prefer to have a cake stacked and finished before transport. I really don't want to have to add more details and finish decorating when I get there - maybe just fix a little boo boo or something icon_smile.gif. If you have your cake properly doweled and have a center dowel, your cake shouldn't move.

ebredhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebredhawk Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 11

i did my first wedding cake back in october and SPS is hands-down the best way to go... in my humble opinion, that is! it's basically fool-proof and helps you to not only get a level stack, but also a centered stack as well. also super easy to travel with. i believe i read on here that it was actually developed for customers who were going to pick up and travel with the cakes themselves, instead of having a pro deliver it.

here's a link to the instructions: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=603925&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 11

ebredhawk
Could you explain to me how the system works, and is it a one time use system? How do you aline the system with your bottom cake, I assume this is to be used with a cake you stack and not a pillar cake. I would like to hear any insight you can give me. Many Thanks

tigersluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigersluv Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 11

I prefer to transport the finished cake. I put lollipop sticks for my supports and then run a dowel from the top to bottom in the center. I always say you could hang it upside down and it won't come apart. Once you deliver the cake everyone that is there is always all around and it makes me nervous to have to assemble it completely with everyone watching.

ebredhawk Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 11

if you read through the questions on that thread, you'll find a LOT of good answers.

it can be a one-time system since it's not that expense. i basically build the price of the pieces into the price of any tiered cake since it's part of the cost to make it. it is possible to get it back though since it's just plates and the supports that push in. you just start with your bottom cake by marking the top with the plate that will sit on top of it. the directions that leah_s provides on that thread are fantastic!

you can use SPS to do separations too.. you would just buy the 7'' or 9'' legs to go with the plates, as opposed to the 4'' ones that stay hidden inside the cake.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 11

Where do you buy the SPS?

ebredhawk Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 11

i've found that the best prices are online at Oasis Supply. the 4'' grecian columns (that specifically say SPS) are the ones you use for no separations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%