Help! How Do I Stop This Cake From Leaning?!

Decorating By rcolson13 Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm by sheilabelle

rcolson13 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 7

I'm inexperienced when it comes to carving... to put it better, I kinda suck at it so far icon_sad.gif . Anyway, I am making a beer mug cake. It is 4 6inch cakes stacked up high. The top two layers are supported like any 2 tier cake would be. When I stacked the cakes, the bottom layers stuck out a little more so I attempted to straighten the cake up with a little carving. I didn't carve it evenly and the cake started to lean some. This stopped when I put the cake on its stand (compression board with a wooden rod attached to the bottom).

Despite a wooden rod going through the center of my cake, it continues to lean more and more.
What can I do to make it stop? I'm scared to put on my fondant because the leaning will continue and mess it up

6 replies
leah_s Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 7

Did you level each layer prior to stacking?

kansaslaura Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 7

What Leah said and... I wonder if the cake is breaking. Maybe too tender for all the handling it's gotten.

sheilabelle Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 7

I had a cake start to do this - What I did was take some foam core wrapped in plastic wrap and wedged it under the side it was lean towards (it actually took a 1/2 inch thick piece). You could also use some left over cake scraps to prop it up. HTH I did this on my Kohl's bag in my picts.

rcolson13 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 7

I did level each cake before beginning. I think it's my carving that threw it off. I do have extra cake so I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks!

rcolson13 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 7

alright, I wedged cake underneath it up to 1 inch in height. It resembles the leaning tower in Europe now - the top is fairly flat, but the cake is still not perpendicular to the cake board. It's noticeable, but not horrible if it doesn't get worse. This is for my husband's b-day so no client will have to deal with it. fingers crossed that it won't lean anymore...

sheilabelle Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 7

I'm sure it's more noticeable to you. He'll love the time and effort that you put into it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%