Thickness Of Cake Board?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm by joy5678

joy5678 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 7

Will a 1/2 inch foam board be thick enough to support the weight of a
5-tiered, stacked 6-8-10-12 & 14 inch wedding cake? I've never done one with that many tiers and need advice from some of you that have done this
before. Thanks in advance for your help.

6 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:43am
post #2 of 7

That's a very heavy cake. I'd definitely suggest either doubling or tripling the bottom board to at least 1"-1.5".

ceshell Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:44am
post #3 of 7

With a cake of that size, I'd think you'd want to use a masonite board. That thing is going to be heavy!

joy5678 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #4 of 7

Thanks ceshell, so how thick do you think the masonite board should be? You're so's going to weigh a ton and I'm already getting nervous thinking about delivery!

ceshell Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:21am
post #5 of 7

If you buy one for cakes rather than having one cut yourself at the hardware store, at that size they come standard @ 1/4- 1/2". Honestly I am not sure if you need 1/2" or if 1/4" is sufficient - hopefully someone else will chime in or else you can search the forums as I know I have seen it discussed numerous times.

ramacake Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:50am
post #6 of 7

Are you stacking all five tiers and delivering it stacked, or are all the tiers stacked after you get to the venue? That would make a huge difference in the bottom board. If they are all stacked during delivery, then I would definately do a double or triple thickness. You wouldn't have to do that if they were assembled at the delivery location.

Personally, I would never try to transport a five tier cake all stacked. That's definately asking for trouble. And it dosen't take that long to assemble the tiers after they are delivered.

joy5678 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 7

I planned on delivering it stacked because I'm using the SPS system that Leah recommends. I don't like trying to finish up a cake on site because there will be so much going on and people watching.....makes me nervous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%