Pure Maple Extract? From Maple Sap

Decorating By cakegirl31 Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 1:13pm by cakemom42

cakegirl31 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:26am
post #1 of 3

I don't know if this belongs here, so i will give it ago, This year is the first year we are tapping our maple tree's thumbs_up.gif and I was wondering if there is away to make my own Maple Extract ? I have searched the internet but have not found nothing icon_sad.gif , so I was hoping maybe someone on here could help me? Any help will be apprciated...Thank you icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
milkmaid42 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 3

I couldn't just read your post and pass on. I wish I had an answer for you as this subject really interests this "do it from scratch and back to basics" type person. When I moved here to Missouri from Arizona and saw that I had maple trees on my own property I was excited to tap my own trees. What prevented me from going this route was the sticky vapor I would have all over my kitchen from not having a sap shed.
At any rate, I just now looked through all my books on sugaring and I am not sure if an individual could do this. It would seem that prolonged boiling would just result in maple sugar-fun to eat but not really an extract. I then looked on a bottle of French's maple flavor and it is an artificial product, containing water, alcohol, artificial and natural flavors and caramel color. Not much help there. I make my own vanilla extract, but there you are just extracting the components with alcohol, not the same procedure as reducing the sap.
I wish you well, just having the syrup would be a success as far as I am concerned. Meanwhile I will just enjoy the spectacular fall display and the lovely summer shade. I will be following this post as I, too, am interested in whatever someone else might have to offer.

cakemom42 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 3

Try checking with independant maple producers or individual states Co-Ops. I grew up in upstate NY and we always had independant farms that produced great syrups, I am sure someone is willing to share the techniques you are looking for. Here's a couple of websites to try.. not sure they are what you're looking for but you might try to call & see where that leads :0) Let us know how it goes.. I'll be watching too!

www.nysmaple.com
www.vermontmaple.org
www.nhmapleproducers.com
www.ohiomapleproducers.com
Massechusettes Maple Producer's : 413-628-3912
[email protected]

Ps I agree just having the syrup is great to me too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%