Transporting

Decorating By SmrLovinGrl Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm by Renaejrk

SmrLovinGrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SmrLovinGrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 4

I'm pretty new to cake decorating, I've been doing it for about a year. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions I have. I am doing a 3 tier spiderman cake this weekend and I need a few tips. How do I transport the cake? For other cakes I've done there are cake boxes that I can just slide them into. But I'm not sure how to do that with a 3 tier cake. Also, do I just put each tier on a cake board and set it on top of the larger tier with dowels in it or do I put them on a separater plate? Please help!!! Thanks.

3 replies
cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:10am
post #2 of 4

Hello :0)
Depneds on how you are stacking the cakes. I don't use boxes but others will never leave without them. It's your preference.
Always use seperator plates & some sort of dowel system. It will keep you from many a cake disasters.
When stacking I use the "Stress Free" cake support system. I love it & have used it in all my large works. the number is 605-583-2393 they are in SD. & the website is: www.weddingcakesupports.com
Hope this helps :0)

SmrLovinGrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SmrLovinGrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 4

How do I put the tiers on cake separaters without them showing. The separaters that I bought from Michaels have "feet" on them. If the bottom tier has dowels in it and them I put the separaters on top of that wont it stick up?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 4

You don't need to use the plastic separators - you just need to have the cakes on cardboard. Each cake is on its own board and you put dowels underneath each one to hold it up. Always make sure your dowels for each layer are exactly the same height or the cake sitting on them will be crooked (ask me how I know - lol). I always use a larger dowel sharpened at one end and then hammered through the center of the whole cake (yes, it will go through the cardboard on each layer) - that keeps the whole thing stationary and safe! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%