Low Sugar Without Being Artificial?

Baking By agentdorkfish Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 3:37am by agentdorkfish

agentdorkfish Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:50am
post #1 of 6

I have been planning on making my sister this amazing cake for her birthday. Complete with chocolate ganache filling, buttercream icing and MMF. But I found out today that her doctor has advised her to watch her sugar intake because it was high during her last visit.

I want to find a good recipe that is lower in sugar but doesn't call for artificial sweetners. Is there a such thing?

5 replies
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 6

If her blood sugar is elevated, then she needs to watch ALL carbohydrates, not just sugar. That means flour, milk, fruit, cornstarch, marshmallow, lots of the stuff cake is made from, AND the sugar, and other stuff to make icing. There is NO low-carb cake.
I am a baker/cake decorator who happens to be diabetic, so I know.

I do know that Pillsbury makes a reduced sugar cake mix and frosting, but it's still high in carbs.

djs328 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 6

Sorry I don't have any good ideas for you, but another thing to keep in mind: this may mean watching fruits, which people don't always think of as having lots of sugar, but if her doc is concerned, fruits may be an issue to consider as well...
In terms of icing, though, whipped cream can be made with very little sugar, and it makes a DELISH icing! (if you can find a cake with low enough carb/sugar content) (Oh, And this doesn't take fat into account... icon_wink.gif hehe!)

agentdorkfish Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 6

Whipped cream! That's an awesome idea! I haven't even thought about that! Thank you so much!

At the moment I believe her doctor is wanting her to cut back on the sweets. She's a total junk food junkie and absolutely loves candy. She eats it like a 5 year old on Halloween! Her sugar has probably been up before but never realized it. She's only had it checked recently because she's pregnant.

SugarFrosted Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:24am
post #5 of 6

ahh he's wanting her to "watch it" because of potential gestational diabetes, or maybe he just doesn't want her to gain 100 lbs... how many weeks is she?

Whipped cream is a good idea, too!

agentdorkfish Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:37am
post #6 of 6

Is it bad that I don't know the exact week? She's due in August. icon_smile.gif

When they checked her sugar last week it was a little high. She's having it checked again soon. Hopefully it was just something she had ate before the test. Like I said, she loves her candy! Especially the gummy, chewy stuff which is really high in sugar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%