Ultimate Cake Off Question

Lounge By AKS Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm by JenniferAtwood

AKS Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #1 of 5

Odd question, maybe, but do the teams have to pay for their supplies or does the show do it? When they're recapping the cakes they talk about how many eggs, how much b'cream, etc. was used, and it seems like a HUGE expense if you don't win-especially with all of the "extreme" elements added on top of that. PS: JMHO, but do cakes really have to spin, light up, cook dinner and deliver babies just to be considered good? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just like pretty cakes. No reflection on the cake artists who do these things at all-I'm in awe! But if this is what it's coming to, I might as well throw in the towel now-I'm about as mechanically inclined as an infant! (Sorry-still ornery from my previous post!)

4 replies
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:39am
post #2 of 5

I think the spinning, etc. is more for the ULTIMATE factor icon_smile.gif I prefer the pretty cakes as well, cause all I can think about is how do you eat something that's been spitting fire all over the cake, I think my MMF might melt..lol! But I think the crazy elements are just for show and for people to say, Wow, Is that really cake?!

JenniferAtwood Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 5

The Ultimate Cake Off gives you $3000 for expenses. However this didn't even cover everything for us. Between motors, food, Hotel, practice cake, airline tickets. The list goes on. I understand that the Food Network show only gives you $400 for expenses (I have been told this my more than one person from that show). But the exposure is PRICELESS. Since we have been on the show we have been busier than ever in our retail store and the requests for cakes are coming in from areas that never heard of us before. Its been less than 48 hours since the show initially aired and we have gotten hundreds of phone calls telling us how people loved the cake and how great we have done.

KimAZ Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 5

As Jennifer mentioned, TLC provides funds up to a certain amount. After that, it's up to the lead decorator to fork out the cash so to speak.

We were lucky enough to be able to drive from AZ to CA to film the show so we didn't have extra expense in airline tickets. But that money went toward all the supplies. I know our lead decorator spent more than what TLC provided so hopefully with exposer on tv, local newspapers and tv shows it will help build her business.

And as for what TLC posted for amounts used next to cakes, don't believe what you read. I know for ours, it was not correct at all. It said we used some huge amount of buttermilk in our cake, and there was not one ounce of it at all. ( perhaps they meant butterCREAM)

As as for weight of the cakes, I have no idea how they determine the numbers they show on tv because there was no scale that I was aware of to weigh any cakes on the set.

As for the extreme elements, that is a requirement in the rules for all teams. There must be some movement and lighting and anything above and beyond that is up to the team. It's all for the "wow" factor and makes it more interesting for tv.

JenniferAtwood Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 5

On the weights, I think the lead decorator supplied that. I know my dad had to submit how many pounds of this and that and how many eggs etc. He also had to supply the weight. It said ours weighed 1000 lbs, but I know he sent them a number around 1300. We know how much our sheet cakes weigh and we knew about how much icing we would use. I think they have typos like everyone else. They are t.v. people not cake people so buttercream and buttermilk might be the same thing to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%