Scroll Work?

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 10:04am by sweettreat101

krm52200 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #1 of 15

I've had a request for a whipped cream frosted cake with scroll work. Is it possible to do that kind of design with whipped cream? I've only ever done it with buttercream. Her other choice would be a swag of flowers on the whipped cream frosting. I told her I didn't think this would work for a number of reasons. 1. The whipped cream is so soft, I think the flowers would just slide down the sides of the cake. 2. You can't put fondant on whipped cream and she doesn't want gumpaste flowers. The only other idea I had was flowers from modeling chocolate, but again, I think they would slide down the cake.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA -

KRM

14 replies
djs328 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #2 of 15

I do whipped cream cakes all the time. (Most of the ones in my pics are WC) I've found the best way to decorate is with melted chocolate/candy melts. It doesn't break down (like fondant would, as would gumpaste, probably) and you can do lots with it. I've also done buttercream roses on WC.
As for scrolls, do it with melted chocolate right onto the iced cake. Just make sure your chocolate isn't super hot when you do it. icon_smile.gif
These were both WC w/chocolate scrolls:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1561710
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1330306

Another thought: if it's not a super contrasting (dark) color of scrolls, you could do the scrolls in BC on the WC base. (Just be careful b/c if it's a dark color it will bleed over time into the WC)

HTH!! icon_smile.gif

helsbels Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #3 of 15

Use Bettercreme it is a product made by Richs. This stuff is just like whipped cream. http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/icings.htm#better hope this link works.

helsbels Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:48am
post #4 of 15

Sorry go to sugarcraft and search bettercreme or google it if the following link doesn't work. http://tinyurl.com/ykv4h2x

sweettreat101 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:49am
post #5 of 15

I use a product called Frostin Pride. Comes in a carton and you whip it as you would cream. Makes a very stable frosting. I am in the same boat as you. My brother and his fiance want Frostin Pride on their wedding cake but I wanted to do stencil work on the side. What about doing the stencil work on fondant plaques and then attach them to the sides of the cake. As for the flowers I take royal frosting and attach tooth pick at an angle to my flowers for decorating on the sides of cakes. Just make you flowers let them dry and add the royal and the tooth picks. Let the royal frosting dry completely before placing flowers on the cake.

2txmedics Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 15

Does anyone have a good home made recipe for WC? And what everyone is saying is you can NOT do scrolls with it?...does it slid off? sorry still new here....thanks!

djs328 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

Does anyone have a good home made recipe for WC? And what everyone is saying is you can NOT do scrolls with it?...does it slid off? sorry still new here....thanks!

Ok, whipped cream: I just use whipping cream, with a little vanilla & 10x sugar to taste. Some people use a product like "Whip It" (made by Oetker's, I think?) to help stabilize it, others use gelatin. I personally, use nothing. Works fine for me.
As for scrolls, you can pipe with it. Scrolls are a little harder to do w/WC (real Whipped cream, not talking about Rich's or Frostin Pride, etc. here - I have no experience with those products) b/c of all the air in the cream. I have done it, but they were not delicate or tiny scrolls.

Quote:
Quote:

What about doing the stencil work on fondant plaques and then attach them to the sides of the cake. As for the flowers I take royal frosting and attach tooth pick at an angle to my flowers for decorating on the sides of cakes. Just make you flowers let them dry and add the royal and the tooth picks. Let the royal frosting dry completely before placing flowers on the cake.

I don't know about Frostin Pride, etc. But whipped cream and fondant are NOT friends! icon_cry.gif The fondant will break down. A chocolate plaque would work well, if it is thin and not super heavy.
I've used premade royal flowers (smaller ones) on WC without any problem.

HTH!

sweettreat101 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 15

Is a non dairy whipped frosting. I have used if for a 7 tier cake and used fondant for decorations and had no problem with the fondant breaking down. It doesn't have the moisture content of whipped cream.

djs328 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Is a non dairy whipped frosting. I have used if for a 7 tier cake and used fondant for decorations and had no problem with the fondant breaking down. It doesn't have the moisture content of whipped cream.

This is good to know! I hope to get my hands on some at some point, and it's great that it 'plays nicely' with fondant! icon_smile.gif Thanks!

krm52200 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks for the input so far. I've used bettercreme in the past but she specifically wants fresh whipped cream and you really can tell the difference. But even if I could convince her to do that, I still think the consistency is too soft for a swag of flowers as they will need to hang off the side of the cake.

Maybe I will experiment with some whipped cream scrolls to see how it works. I just hate to waste cream since its not cheap.

Was also thinking that maybe I could pipe white chocolate scrolls onto parchment and let it dry then lift it up and place it on the side of the cake. Any thoughts on that plan?

FACSlady Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 15

Can you freeze the frosted cake and then do the scrolls?

djs328 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:31pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm52200

Was also thinking that maybe I could pipe white chocolate scrolls onto parchment and let it dry then lift it up and place it on the side of the cake. Any thoughts on that plan?

Piping them on parchment would certainly work. I've also piped it (melted choc.) right onto the cream...the cool thing is that if you screw up, it's easy to pull off the messed up part and start again! ;0

krm52200 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm52200

Piping them on parchment would certainly work. I've also piped it (melted choc.) right onto the cream...the cool thing is that if you screw up, it's easy to pull off the messed up part and start again! ;0

Thanks, I'm leaning towards that option. The scrollwork would be along the sides of the cake so I think the parchment option would work best for me. Could also be easy to pipe right over a template depending on how fancy she wants to get.

She keeps saying the swag of flowers is her first choice but I just don't see it happening with whipped cream.

Thanks again!

sweettoothmom1 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #14 of 15

i work with the real whipped cream also. i dont see how u can keep up a swag of roses either. perhaps the small ones in choc may work though

sweettreat101 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:04am
post #15 of 15

I tried to attach a link to the 7 tier cake picture but it doesn't attach. What am I doing wrong?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%