Need Tips On Making 'lace' ???

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm by 2txmedics

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, so a friend asked me to make a cake for them. No problem. I make my kids cakes, make them for friends. Love doing it, but in no way pretend I am a profesional.

I told her I could do it. She tells me she wants 'lace' around the edges. Its for a store's grand opening. I looked at lace yesterday, to buy some to try to copy. I just didnt really like any of it.

I just need some tips. Or some pictures of what you have done. Its going to be a rectangle cake, buttercream frosting, and then lace around the edges. I was thinking the lace would be on the top on about an inch then down the side.

so, do you have any tips or pictures of doing this? I guess I can just pipe white 'U''s one right after the other and connect them to themselves??

Thanks y'all so much, all of y'all are so good, that I fiqured there might be something I am missing icon_smile.gif I searched "lace" and just couldnt wrap my mind around anything I found icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Sara789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara789 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 10

You could try stenciling a lace pattern on with royal icing. www.designerstencils.com has several lace cake side stencils under their "Culinary" section. It's super easy with a little bit of practice (they have tutorials on their website). Or you can pipe a pattern directly on the cake with royal. That will take a lot more time than a stencil. Good luck. Hope this helps.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 10

Here is a cake with actual lace??? It's fondant but also and idea??

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1490726

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 10

If you have time, and want to buy. They have the lace impression molds, I have quiet a few of them, they have served me well over the years for many needs. You take fondant and roll the silicone lace mats onto the fondant and add some luster dust and you have beautiful lace pieces. If you do a search for Carol Webb's lace molds, her busines which sells them will come up on google. Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:17am
post #6 of 10

THank y'all!! icon_smile.gif

okay, wish I had known about the molds, but truthfully, still wouldnt have had time- its due Friday.

Royal icing- if I have the ingrediants here and can make it, I'll try it. LOL icon_smile.gif Thanks icon_smile.gif

I can do fondant- have it, and can make more icon_smile.gif LOL But alas no molds. icon_sad.gif

I dont know if my butter cream is stiff enough, thats somthing else that does bother me.. I dont do much piping. I do letters, and such, but nothing that really connects... if that makes sense... LOL I also just thought of the fact that can I 'reverse bleed'?? the lace will be white. The cake will be camo pattern.. icon_sad.gif whats the chances of a reverse bleed??? CRAP! LOL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #7 of 10

If the b'c is not stiff enough then add more powder sugaricon_smile.gif Make a small amount - like 1/3 cup is plenty - depending on how bigf the cake is.
Cornelli is somethimes called 'squiggles' - the lines should never touch or cross. Just make a continuous line of "W's and 'M's.

The cake is going to be camo?? And they want lace?? YIKES - LOLicon_smile.gif
I think I'd use real lace trim OR use a piece and 'spackel' some royal icing thru it for a lacy look.

chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 10

Yeah- LOL Honestly, I was gonna 'spackle' but couldnt find a lace that I liked good enough to do it with!! icon_sad.gif
LOL

and yes, camo. and lace.. LOL I thought about chocolate, but I have NEVER sucsesfully 'transfered' anything from saran wrap or wax paper. So whatever I do, I have to freehand it.. icon_sad.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #9 of 10

Kakeladi, I looked at all your pics. and WOW. Great examples!! Thank you sooo much!!

Very daunting... LOL But great examples. icon_smile.gif I wonder if that cake in the 3rd picture would look really funny with instead of a white base with white 'lace' it was a como base with white lace?? ROFLMAO!!

I will need to practice with the tips, I just dont do much work with them. most of my cakes just dont call for much tip use other than saying happy birthday. icon_sad.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 10

what about just Imprints onto the actual BC of the cake? of a lace design?...Ive seen some nice ones like that also

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%