Stacked Birthday Cake, Stacked Wedding Cake...same Price

Business By momma28 Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm by kilikina_24

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 10

Y do people call to order a stacked cake for a birthday that serves the same as a wedding cake, in the same shape and size as a wedding cake, with the same level of decorating (although more whimsical most times) and expect to pay less per slice than a wedding cake? I understand that you dont think of a birthday as being as important as a wedding but I do the same amount of work, why should I get paid less.

Do any of you change your per slice price for birthday stacked cakes?

Thank you

9 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 10

Nope, I charge the same price regardless of what the cake is for.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 10

My pricing starts at a x per serving, regardless of what occasion the cake is for. (of course bc is x per serving, fondant is xx per serving and tt or 3d carved is xxx per serving) Weddings cakes tend to cost more because of all the extra details that are added which add to the base price.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 10

I charge the same, but there are plenty of people who have separate pricing on their websites for parties and weddings. I don't know why. There are also plenty of people who give advice about telling the baker that it's a "party" and to never say the word "wedding" because the price will automatically go up. We're all price gougers, didn't you know that?

momma28 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #5 of 10

I have never even considered having a different pricing structure for stacked birthday cakes. People really think that you will get a cheaper price if you say party? Wow never realized that. I just figured same amount of cake, same amount of work, same price...silly me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:28am
post #6 of 10

Why should *ANY* cake be more than another? Stacking a cake takes knowledge and work so charge for it no matter if it is for a b'day; shower' weddiing; St Paddy's day or any other affair.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 10

I honestly USED to think that they should cost the same regardless of what type of cake you are doing - wedding, shower, birthday, etc. I have changed my mind - not necessarily in that a birthday cake should be less than a wedding, but any LARGE cake should be more expensive because you are spending more time going over details with that customer. TIME IS MONEY. I do cakes starting at $25 and up. $25 is something small and simple and I get the order and never hear from the customer until pick-up. A cake to feed 150 takes more time going back and forth back and forth back and forth going over details, etc. So for me, a larger cake DOES cost more per serving than a smaller cake.

Hope that makes sense!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

I honestly USED to think that they should cost the same regardless of what type of cake you are doing - wedding, shower, birthday, etc. I have changed my mind - not necessarily in that a birthday cake should be less than a wedding, but any LARGE cake should be more expensive because you are spending more time going over details with that customer. TIME IS MONEY. I do cakes starting at $25 and up. $25 is something small and simple and I get the order and never hear from the customer until pick-up. A cake to feed 150 takes more time going back and forth back and forth back and forth going over details, etc. So for me, a larger cake DOES cost more per serving than a smaller cake.

Hope that makes sense!

I don't face this issue at all. My prices are the same for either cake by the way. Even when I meet with the bride, we hardly ever meet more than once or exchange lots of emails. We get the design done at our initial meeting and that's it.

momma28 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

Hope that makes sense!

This is why I specified that these were stacked cakes with the same level of decorating (if not the same style). I think stacked cakes require a greater skill set than a sheet. Actually this call was for a topsy turvey stacked cake with hand made sugar figures. That is more than I do for most wedding cakes LOL

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 10

I can't remember where I first saw this but apparently there is an idea out there that wedding cakes cost more:

WARNING--there is some language in the video.

I really think that what it comes down to, is people want more elaborate cakes for different events than weddings now. Especially with shows like Ace of Cakes. Everyone wants a big eleborate cake for their birthdays, anniversaries, etc. but they think they should be paying the same price they used to pay for a simple sheet cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%