Different Size Layers From The Same Pan??? Solution?

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm by Sassy74

Sassy74 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, everyone. I've searched for a similar thread on this issue, and I may not be wording my search right...I'm pretty sure I've seen this on here before quite some time ago. Forgive me for duplicating, lol.

What on earth could cause the same pan to bake two different sized layers??? When I have to use the same pan to bake two layers (I don't have duplicates for ALL of my pans), I frequently get layers that aren't the same size. When I fill and stack the layers, I may have a serious overhang on one side that has to be trimmed or compensated for with icing.

I have a convection oven, and usually use WASC, but I don't know that either of those details affect layer size. Could Bake-Even strips help?

I'm just not sure what might be causing this problem. I was just watching "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" and saw how PERFECT Sharon's layers are, lol, and it made me think of this! Just wanted to see if any of you had input. TIA!

6 replies
confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 7

I have no clue but this happens to me too! Thought it was just me. I'm envious of sharon's perfect layers too! Wish mine looked that perfect. Maybe someone can offer us some insight.

cakemom42 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 7

If you are using the same batter & filling the pan & baking , then when that one's done filling the pan again & baking the rest of the batter.. it could be because the batter sat & lost some of it's air/fluff.

Also unless you are weighing your batter each time to make sure you are getting the same amount in each pan evenly.. it is possible you have slightly more in one than the next one.

Striving for perfection will drive one insane :0)

TexasSugar Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 7

are you putting the same sides up or down? Some pans have slanted sides and so the top and the bottom are a little off in width. The other thought is maybe one is shrinking more than the other.

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 7

If you are baking them at different times and putting the 2nd batch in a warm pan (even after it's washed out, the metal can retain some of the heat), then the 2nd one may be overbaked, which can cause shrinkage.

It's happened to me before. Unless it's a BIG difference, I just hide the diff when I ice it. You can't tell there's a cake size diff.

pattycakesnj Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 7

I have the same problem, even when I bake at the same time in 2 identical pans. I just trim up the sides and make cake balls with the trimmings. We were just talking about this the other day at our shop because the 2 women I share space with have the same problem, regardless if it is the same pan or an identical pan.

Sassy74 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 7

Debi, that's the only conclusion I've reached. Even though I let the pan cool slightly, and clean it out, it has to still be holding onto some heat. Everythng else is the same, so...

Thanks so much, y'all. As usual, I appreciate the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%