Any Wire That Can Be Placed In Cake?

Decorating By tab_stout Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm by Mug-a-Bug

tab_stout Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there was anywire that is safe to insert into a cake. I found this: Sunrise Floral Wire which I found on Global Sugar Art, but I wasn't sure if was food safe. I figured if any wire is food safe this might be because it's for inserting in gum paste. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
catlharper Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 6

Gumpaste, while considered "edible" really isn't eaten but used for decoration. I have not found any wire that is food safe so I use the coffee stirrer method. I find it gives the wire more stability anyways.

tab_stout Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks, I thought that might be the case with these, but I thought I'd see if anyone new of a wire that was food safe. I also couldn't remember how to use the wire without actually touching the cake, but now that you said you use the coffee stirrer method I remember that you just put icing in the coffee stirrer and insert the wire, Thank you again!!

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with catlharper, coffee stirs, straws, plastic lollipop sticks will all work well for inserting wires into a cake.

You wouldn't want to use paper-covered wire in a cake even if it was food safe...the moisture in the cake would probably make the paper come off the wire and stay in the cake.

Win Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 6

Here is an informative thread that stays up in the sticky section of the Cake Decorating Forum. It is a lot of reading, but has some great alternatives to sticking wires in cakes. I, too, use the coffee stirrer method finding that quite user friendly. HTH

Mug-a-Bug Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 6

I saw a post the other day that suggested using stainless steel dental wire. (PM me if you want a link to where you can purchase orthodontic wire) I'm sure any stainless steel wire is food safe, although I'm not sure where else you would get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%