Networking Meeting?

Business By me_mysister Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm by indydebi

me_mysister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_mysister Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 4

I have a friend who invited me to a networking meeting in hopes of getting more business. I decided to go at the moment, but I decided not to last night, because I don't have a commercial kitchen to work out of yet. Being that I'm in California, I need to have that. I don't want to get fined.

OR should I go ahead and go and hopefully by going there I'll be able to obtain a commercial kitchen in the area?

3 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 4

In our business classes, networking is about getting your name out there. You may not have a business yet, and you can tell them that. Tell them you are looking to START a cake business.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 4

I have to disagree. I wouldn't get your name out there until there is something to offer. OR<, if you KNOW that you will be able to take orders within 6 weeks or so, then go. but if it is all up in the air now, I wouldn't go. it would be a waste of your and the other vendors time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 4

Agree with Jill.

it also depends on the type of networking group. BNI, for example, requires that the business you represent be your primarily source of income, so since your caking is not yet a business and ergo wouldn't be your main source of income, it would be a waste of time for you to attend under the thought of potentially becoming a member. Under the BNI philosophy of "givers gain", it's a give and take system. If you're not a business yet, they can't refer business to you and you are not yet in a position to be able to refer business to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%