How Much In Advance Do I Make Fondant Figures?

Decorating By MandiJ Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm by linarez

MandiJ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 28

I am making a barn yard theme cake for my cousins sons 1st birthday. This is my fisrt time making a cake for someone other than my daughters,and my first time makeing figures with fondant. I am going to make the farm animals and was wondering how much in advance I should/could make them. Also what should I use to make them stick together like the head to the body and such? Any help would be so greatly appreciated! Also, do I store them in the fridge till time to put on the cake or do I leave them out on the counter? Can I store them on the cake in the fridge over night? Sorry so many questions, I just really want it to turn out cute! icon_biggrin.gif TIA
Mandi

27 replies
katies_cakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 28

i would make them up to a month in advance but a min of a week before so they can dry out. there are no ingredients in fondant that will make it go bad. store in a tin in a cool dry place away from light and dust. NEVER in an airtight container. are you using tylo/cmc in the fondant?? i stick mine together with edible glue and sometimes use dry spaggeti for internal support. (this helps to keep the head in place) HTH
good luck.

MandiJ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 28

Thank you so much! What is tylo/cmc? Sorry I am really new to this! Well the party is Saturday so should I just keep searching for some regular animal figurines to use or do you think I can pull it off if I make the fondant and animals tonight? Thats only 4 days. icon_sad.gif

pianocat Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 28

If you do them today and mix the fondant with gumpaste (or Tylose), there might be enough time to dry. I do 50/50 on the fondant/gp.

lilyankee5688 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 28

I just did my first fondant/gum paste cake, and it was farm theme as well (pics in my gallery). The cake was for a Saturday and I had started making the animals a week ahead of time. I'm glad I did cause a few of them cracked and broke, so I still had some time to make new heads and let them dry. I did not make the barn ahead of time, BIG mistake! it was not 100% dry and ended up breaking in half. I also just had them on the kitchen table to dry out. I didnt put them on the cake until the day of, and the horse and ducks I used a little water (as glue) and lollipop sticks and noodles to hold the heads in place. Hope this helps, can't wait to see pics! Good luck

MandiJ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 28

What if I just bought the premaid Wiltons colored fondant? Would that work? I have never used it before. I have only worked with homeaid MF.

MandiJ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 28

Thanks lilyankee5688
I am really nervous and excited! I just made a 3D Elmo cake for my DD's first birthday and my aunt seen it and asked me to make my cousins cake this weekend I just really want it to turn out good its one thing if my DD's flops, a complete other if it is for someone else. icon_biggrin.gif

katies_cakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 28

You can find tylo powder in most cake decorating supply shops. add 1tbs to 8oz fondant and knead it in. it helps to dry the fondant quicker and makes modles firmer and unlikley to sag or shift. or use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. i like tylos though! if you make them asap with tylo/gumpaste mix they should have just enough time to dry. or to help you can place them on a new clean, dry sponge! that should help too. you can do it if you work fast!

MandiJ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 28

Thanks katies_cakes
I am going to the store to see if I can find it.
So once the MF is in the ball I just add the Tylo pwd to it and kneed it in? Is that all? that seems easy enough! Thank you so much for all your help!!!

katies_cakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 28

Yep, just knead it in. its very simple. you will feel the texture of the fondant change. make sure you post some pics!

lilyankee5688 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 28

i totally understand.. my farm cake was the first cake i did outside me and my fiance's family.. but you can do them if you start tonight.. I made a few of my animals the day before, because i had to transport them from my house to my moms which is over 100 miles. but I just did gum paste and fondant mixed together.. worked great and dried fast.

MandiJ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:15pm
post #12 of 28

Thank you all so very much!! I just got back from the store and all they had was premaid gum paste so i assume it will be ok to just kneed half the gum paste in with half the MF...right? I am getting excited and I will definetly post some picture! I hope it turns out to be picture worthy. icon_lol.gif

I have one more question that isn't fondant related:
On the barn cake? Can I use a loaf pan to make the barn? No where around here sells the Wilton stand up house pan and sine the party is Saturday I dont have time to order one. What do you think would be the best to make a stand up barn on a sheet cake?

katies_cakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:37pm
post #13 of 28

I would make a small cake, loaf pan sounds good. and just carve it into the barn shape you need and then decorate it. (its easier to carve a partly frozen cake)

katies_cakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:38pm
post #14 of 28

I would make a small cake, loaf pan sounds good. and just carve it into the barn shape you need and then decorate it. (its easier to carve a partly frozen cake)

MandiJ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 28

This is kind of what I was thinking, Thank you katies_cakes
you have been so helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

linarez Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 28

HELP!!!..will the figure stay in place with a glob of icing under it to make it stick or am i supposed to do something else to make it stay on the cake without falling off while in commute.....also need ideas for a dog cake i am making for thursday 3/18/10.. wanted to make a round cake with fondant dogs in top ,paws and bones...TIA

MandiJ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:44pm
post #17 of 28

I was wondering the same thing, They do not sell edible glue where I live so I was going to use royal icing or candy melts, but I'm not sure it either would work. I hope you get your question answered soon! Good Luck!
Mandi

lilyankee5688 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #18 of 28

poke a tooth pick, spaghetti noodle, fettuccine noodles are great as well, in both the head and body.. when i did my farm animals, i did the noodles as well as took a paint brush and 'painted' water on where the head and body touch, this made the gum paste sticky, and "glued" them together.
some people make a glue out of gum paste and water, same thing as just painting it on.

Price Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #19 of 28

MandiJ - You can make your own edible glue. I normally mix a small amount of tylose powder with water to make the glue, but I have also heard of people putting a little gumpaste or fondant in water and letting it melt to make the glue. Have fun making your figures, but I need to give you this warning! FONDANT MODELING IS ADDICTIVE!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

katies_cakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:35pm
post #20 of 28

How did your animals and barn go? i hope you enjoyed it. and i second what price said it really is addictive!!

idgalpal Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:49pm
post #21 of 28

I just did a fireman themed cake for a little guy's first birthday. It's posted in my pixs as well as a picture of the three dalmation puppies I made to go on the cake. I made them about 10 days ahead. the head is attached with a piece of spaghetti.

gotweim Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #22 of 28

HI There~

I just made the most adorable elephant out of fondant and I was searching around to find out how to store him when I came across this thread and now I'm worried!

I didn't add tylo powder or gum paste, I just used straight fondant. Am I going to have a problem with him? I don't need him for the cake until Sunday so that is a week away. Will he be okay or should I make another one with the tylo powder added in?

Price Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #23 of 28

It should be fine as long as there's not really high humidity where you are. I often make figures from straight fondant because my Grandson's love to eat them and I prefer they not have the extra chemicals added.

gotweim Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #24 of 28

Thank you so much!! icon_smile.gif

MandiJ Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:18pm
post #25 of 28

It turned out so cute!! I am so proud of myself, and everyone was amazed! Thank you all so much for all your help! I love this website! I am posting pictures right now! icon_biggrin.gif

linarez Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #26 of 28

what about to make the fondant figure sta attached to the cake itself..do i just use icing or stick something in the figure then insert it in the cake?? Thanks??

Price Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #27 of 28

If it's a small figure or a figure in a sitting position and you are placing it on top of a fondant covered cake, you can attach it with a little edible glue. If the figure is standing, I would suggest you put a small skewer into the figure when you are making it. Then you can push the skewer down into the cake to help stabalize the figure on the cake.

You can also attach your figures to a cake board that is covered in fondant and place the cake board on top of you cake. That way you can remove all of the figures from the cake before cutting, and you won't damage them.

linarez Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #28 of 28

Great idea .thanks a bunch!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%