Coloring Modeling Chocolate??

Decorating By j_black Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm by j_black

j_black Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_black Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 20

Hello all....
I am currently on to another project that involves modeling chocolate. I have found that it is nearly impossible to paint on modeling chocolate even with alcohol, as the color kinda starts to bead up. Does kneading in the color with the modeling chocolate work well??????

19 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 20

Yes, you can knead color into the product easily. Your regular gel colors will work - the corn syrup in the chocolate (or candy melts) allows the gel colors to incorporate smoothly. I have colored "real" white chocolate, Merckens, Wilton, and Make 'n Mold brands this way. Just be aware that all of these products have a yellowish base color that will affect your final color.

j_black Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks... I have always had a problem with coloring modeling chocolate. I normally prefer to paint most of my stuff but with this project I will not be able to. Thanks for your help... I am going to try kneading it in now.

Adrienne2931 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adrienne2931 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 20

I actually just did this Saturday. I tried several different things and what ended up working the best was a mix of Malibu (the only clear alcohol I had in the house) and gel coloring. The first time I tried to paint modeling chocolate my paint beaded up too; the trick is to use a lot less alcohol than you think you need. I only had to paint 3 little fish but I used 1/4 tbs gel color and 1 tbs alcohol and it went on smooth. When it was mixed it looked really dark, almost too dark, but I had already tried several different variations at that point and had messed up several of my fish so I was willing to try anything to get it right. I had to do several layers to get the bright colors that I wanted but it ended up looking great in the end.

j_black Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 20

I did that while painting a cell phone and it about drove me nuts. I have always painted on fondant and it was always so easy but when I tried it on the modeling choc I wanted to cry, as I had to do layer after layer. Kneading it in does work well. I am having to make a bulldog and it is turning out great. icon_biggrin.gif I don't know why I ever make figurines out of fondant or gumpaste. Modeling chocolate is wonderous.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 20

I like to paint with luster dusts and confectioners glaze on modeling chocolate.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 20

I just made a camera out of modeling chocolate and used gel coloring to paint it...worked fine

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_black

Thanks... I have always had a problem with coloring modeling chocolate. I normally prefer to paint most of my stuff but with this project I will not be able to. Thanks for your help... I am going to try kneading it in now.

I used americolor gels and painted on these cookies that were covered in modelling chocolate!
LL
LL

j_black Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 20

Those are amazing!!!!!!

I think that I will have to practice some more. My one run in with the phone did me in until today.

Do you think that my color beaded up because I touched the modeling choc. before I painted it? I have noticed that it gets a greasy feeling after your hands warm it a bit, and after it sets it dries semi hard and looks like fondant. Was thinking that since I was handling the modeling choc, my hands warmed it up so and thats why the color was beading.

KHalstead Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 20

that could definitely be the case!! I put the modelling chocolate on the cookies as soon as they came out of the oven and it melted it a bit and it got really greasy and I thought they were ruined, but I just let them sit for about an hr. and they firmed up and reabsorbed the oil and were fine. I did mix a little white coloring in with my colored gel, so maybe that made a difference?? I added the white to get the right color, but I wonder if it changed the way it adhered?

j_black Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 20

Well, it just gives me something other ideas to experiment with. Working with the modeling choc is great and I wanna continue using this stuff. I am determined to Find A Way. I now have a new quest and it is to me the queen of modeling chocolate.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 20

I like to mix my regular gel colors into my modeling chocolate while it is still warm and oily. I put on gloves and mix it up with my hands, letting the excess oil drip off. Then I put it in Ziplock bag and let it set overnight.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #13 of 20

does your modeling chocolate get hard as rock? Is it suppose to be that hard?

j_black Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:37pm
post #14 of 20

Yes ma'am mine does, but as soon as I start to move it around it softens right up.

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:51pm
post #15 of 20

What is a good recipe to make modeling chocolate?

KHalstead Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:02pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

does your modeling chocolate get hard as rock? Is it suppose to be that hard?

When you let it rest it does get rock hard, however when it's rolled out thin and put on the cookies it remains chewy. I think IMO that it's exactly like a tootsie roll. You know how tootsie rolls feel hard, even if you tap it on a table it sounds like it's hard as a rock, but when you bite into it it's actually soft and chewy! That's how candy clay/modelling chocolate should be.

If you have a huge amount and it's just TOO HARD to even begin to start kneading it again, try cutting it into smaller, manageable chunks and knead a little at a time, or what I do sometimes is actually use a box cheese grater and grate the chocolate (I do this when I want to mix two colors too) and then take all the little shavings and work them into a ball again, makes faster work of allowing your hands to warm it up and make it workable again!! HTH

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #17 of 20

I use the recipe on the back of the bag of Wilton candy melts. It is also on the Wilton website.

It's very simple, one bag of candy melts and 1/3 cup of clear corn syrup. Melt candy in microwave, add corn syrup and stir.

It's very important that you wait several hours, preferably overnight, before you try to use it.

Kim

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:30pm
post #18 of 20

I noticed above, someone said modeling chocolate is the Wilton candy melts? The stuff that they use as they do fondant? So it tastes better and is easier or harder to work with than fondant. TIA

Adrienne2931 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adrienne2931 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #19 of 20

I use 14oz chocolate melts and 1/3 cup corn syrup but I'm in a relatively humid climate so you might need to change it up a bit. I'm sure others have different variations; I've seen at least 6. Wilton also has one that my friend uses all the time.

j_black Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #20 of 20

It is made with candy ,melts and I find that it is much easier to work with then fondant or gumpaste. Only problem i have is painting on it. You can paint on it but it you touch it after painting your hand comes away with coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%