Dinosaur And Lady Bug?!!

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm by Reganlynn

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 11

Hello, I have a request for a cake, and I have no idea where to begin. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I have a request for a cake for a brother and sister. They want a dinosaur and lady bug. They want the dinosaur interacting with the lady bug somehow. The lady bug part is easy, but how do I make a dinosaur? I have never made figures of any type.

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?

Thank You!!

10 replies
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 11

If you are trying to work out how to make the shapes, maybe google how to make a clay animal/dinosaur?

Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 11

Making the dinosaur is just one part of the problem. I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to interact the two onto one cake.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 11

I'm thinking it would be cute to have a dinosaur (like a brontosauras or brachiosauras I think they are.......the ones with the long neck you know?) Have it with it's head pointed upward with a lady bug on it's nose and make it's eyes crossed like it's looking at the lady bug. That would be adorable!!! Is this for young kids??? If so, I think they'd get a kick out of that!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 11

Do Google the dinosaur for shapes. How about putting a couple ladybugs on wires and have them moving in front of the dinosaur's nose.

Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 11

Khalstead, that is a great idea! Yes, it is a party for young kids, the boy will be 5 and the girl will be 3. What do you think would be good, a sheet cake or a tiered cake? Figuring out how to make the dinosaur is going to be my biggest challenge.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:13am
post #7 of 11

I think it would also be cute to have the ladybug on the dinosaur's back and have the dinosaur looking up in a protective/admiring way (big brother carrying little sister)..
I think I would go with a 3-D cake. There are a lot of good ideas for 3-D dinosaurs on here. Most people do a portion of the out of RKT or modelling chocolate. I have never made one myself, however.
Good luck - please post photos!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 11

How about a 9X13 sheet cake with two half sports ball cakes on top. One sports ball can be turned into a ladybug and one can be turned into a dinosaur. They can be looking at each other with very surprised looks on their faces - either that or smiling at each other as if they want to be friends with one another - it would be adorableicon_smile.gif

shapeacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shapeacake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 11

I also like the ladybug on the nose idea. I would probably make one large round/rectangular cake, and then put a dinosaur cake on top of it ... in a shape similar to the dinosaur at http://thrillsnspills.posterous.com/?page=2. Then, in addition to the ladybug on the nose, I'd make some "grass" on the bottom of the cake and decorate with extra ladybugs like I did with the cake below. You could decorate the sides of the cake (where I put the flowers) with any outdoor theme.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 11

Love the idea of the dino with the ladybug on his nose and his eyes crossed!!

Some notes on dinosours:
http://sdbytracy.com/dragoncake.htm
http://hubpages.com/hub/Dragon-Birthday-Cakes

I think if you maybe added some flowers with ladybugs - or some cupcakes (w/flowers and ladybugs) - you could get some more of the "girly" stuff in too.

Post a pic when you're done! I'd love to see it. Good luck!

Reganlynn Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 11

Wow!! Thank you all so much, what great links you gave me! This site is awesome, so many good people willing to help!

I agree, I LOVE the idea of the crossed eyed dino looking at the ladybug! I am going to attempt to make the dino out of RKT ( first time, should be fun!) it's for family so if I mess up not too bad, they'll love it anyway.

Thank you all, and I will post pictures when I'm done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%