Dinosaur And Lady Bug?!!

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm by Reganlynn

Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 11

Hello, I have a request for a cake, and I have no idea where to begin. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I have a request for a cake for a brother and sister. They want a dinosaur and lady bug. They want the dinosaur interacting with the lady bug somehow. The lady bug part is easy, but how do I make a dinosaur? I have never made figures of any type.

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?

Thank You!!

10 replies
Melnick Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 11

If you are trying to work out how to make the shapes, maybe google how to make a clay animal/dinosaur?

Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 11

Making the dinosaur is just one part of the problem. I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to interact the two onto one cake.

KHalstead Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 11

I'm thinking it would be cute to have a dinosaur (like a brontosauras or brachiosauras I think they are.......the ones with the long neck you know?) Have it with it's head pointed upward with a lady bug on it's nose and make it's eyes crossed like it's looking at the lady bug. That would be adorable!!! Is this for young kids??? If so, I think they'd get a kick out of that!

lapazlady Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 11

Do Google the dinosaur for shapes. How about putting a couple ladybugs on wires and have them moving in front of the dinosaur's nose.

Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 11

Khalstead, that is a great idea! Yes, it is a party for young kids, the boy will be 5 and the girl will be 3. What do you think would be good, a sheet cake or a tiered cake? Figuring out how to make the dinosaur is going to be my biggest challenge.

cakesrock Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:13am
post #7 of 11

I think it would also be cute to have the ladybug on the dinosaur's back and have the dinosaur looking up in a protective/admiring way (big brother carrying little sister)..
I think I would go with a 3-D cake. There are a lot of good ideas for 3-D dinosaurs on here. Most people do a portion of the out of RKT or modelling chocolate. I have never made one myself, however.
Good luck - please post photos!

luvmysmoother Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 11

How about a 9X13 sheet cake with two half sports ball cakes on top. One sports ball can be turned into a ladybug and one can be turned into a dinosaur. They can be looking at each other with very surprised looks on their faces - either that or smiling at each other as if they want to be friends with one another - it would be adorableicon_smile.gif

shapeacake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 11

I also like the ladybug on the nose idea. I would probably make one large round/rectangular cake, and then put a dinosaur cake on top of it ... in a shape similar to the dinosaur at http://thrillsnspills.posterous.com/?page=2. Then, in addition to the ladybug on the nose, I'd make some "grass" on the bottom of the cake and decorate with extra ladybugs like I did with the cake below. You could decorate the sides of the cake (where I put the flowers) with any outdoor theme.

LeckieAnne Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 11

Love the idea of the dino with the ladybug on his nose and his eyes crossed!!

Some notes on dinosours:
http://sdbytracy.com/dragoncake.htm
http://hubpages.com/hub/Dragon-Birthday-Cakes

I think if you maybe added some flowers with ladybugs - or some cupcakes (w/flowers and ladybugs) - you could get some more of the "girly" stuff in too.

Post a pic when you're done! I'd love to see it. Good luck!

Reganlynn Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 11

Wow!! Thank you all so much, what great links you gave me! This site is awesome, so many good people willing to help!

I agree, I LOVE the idea of the crossed eyed dino looking at the ladybug! I am going to attempt to make the dino out of RKT ( first time, should be fun!) it's for family so if I mess up not too bad, they'll love it anyway.

Thank you all, and I will post pictures when I'm done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%