Perfect Criss Cross

Decorating By CookiEnormous Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 2:46am by CookiEnormous

CookiEnormous Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:59am
post #1 of 7

What are your best suggestions for getting the perfect cross cross pattern around the whole cake so that each diagonal is perfectly spaced?

6 replies
Eisskween Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 7

A quilt impression mat. You can get them from Sugarshack or Global Sugar Art.

pacable Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 7

Someone else described it the other day in one of their pics and it made sense to me...she went around each layer (top and bottom) and marked w/ a toothpick at 1 inch intervals, then using a ruler, matched a top marking with 2 intervals over on the bottom. I'll try to find it and put the link in b/c I think she described it a little better. hth

pacable Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 7

SaltCakeCity posted a pic called Avocado & Chocolate cake in the round wedding cakes describing it. sorry, didn't know how to attach the pic...i'll figure it out one day

pacable Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 7

Lets see if this worked...

pacable Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 7

ok this is what SaltCakeCity said: The middle tier was a quilted pattern. Rather than using the standard caking tool that creates the quilting look, I freehand the design to make sure that I get the spacing as accurate as possible. In order to do this, I cover the cake and then have to work quickly. First, I measure the diameter of the cake and mark equal distances around the top and bottom of the tier with a toothpick. Then, I take either a strong rule or a straight edge scraper tool and angle it at about a 45 degree angle. I simple connect the top dot with the corresponding bottom dot that is two intervals away (wow, does that make sense at all?). This creates the quilting pattern.

CookiEnormous Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%