Shipping Cookies!help

Baking By hazelhuney Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 5:31pm by GeminiRJ

hazelhuney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelhuney Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:36am
post #1 of 7

Hello, I am planning to ship some cookies later next week and wanted to know what is the best way? I plan to make sugar cookies & ice them with royal icing. Please any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you!!

6 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 7

I ship cookies all the time. I like to use plastic containers (like the ones form the salad bar at the grocery store). I put some padding (often crumpled up plastic bags or other packing material) on the bottom layer, put on a layer of wrapped cookies, put a few more plastic bags in for cushioning, and repeat the layers. If the cookies are very delicate (thin parts) I put a thin piece of cardboard under each cookie layer.

Pack them in tightly enough that they don't' shift too much and end with layers of packing material, not cookies. Inside the plastic box, they should keep nice and secure. I also don't pack more than 3-4 layers of cookies in each container.

Here are some links to threads that discuss shipping - maybe there will be some other helpful ideas for you.

shipping cookies
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-636536-shipping.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633403-shipping.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625384-shipping.html

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 7

Those plastic containers are very smart to use! Thanks for the suggestion!

If i'm shipping, i'll individually wrap each cookie in a cello bag (as you would for favors) and line them standing up in a small box that has been filled with any type of packing material (newsprint, tissue paper, bubble wrap, peanuts, etc). Sometimes i'll wrap each cookie in a bit of bubble wrap so there is more cushioning between them as well. I then put that small box into a larger box that is also filled with more packing material and seal that one.
I've never had any cookies break this way, but then again, i havent shipped delicate shapes that would have thinner parts. In that case, i'd go with bonniebakes idea about the plastic container and the cardboard.

hazelhuney Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #4 of 7

THANK YOU!!!!!!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 7

I've shipped cookies halfway around the world with success. What I do is vacuum seal them in a couple layers. When you take the air out of the bad, you wind up with a flat package that is actually quite sturdy. Then I wrap these in bubble wrap, and pack in the flat rate boxes from the post office.

hazelhuney Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #6 of 7

DsLady614 I was planning to use the flatboxes as well! than you for your help! im so excited!! i was just worried that the royal icing would not hold its form but I guess I was wrong!Thanks

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 7

I remember reading about a hint used by many bakers sending cookies overseas to the troops. They recommended using coffee cans as the containers. (Maybe it was long enough ago that the cans were the old metal ones!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%