Discouraged

Lounge By kimmypooh79 Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 12:34pm by de_montsoreau

kimmypooh79 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:10am
post #1 of 9

I've been really discouraged and have no desire to make any cakes. My friends and family all rave about my cakes and pushed me to get cards so I did. I gave them all a card and birthday after birthday passes but not one has even checked with me. It's almost infuriating to log in to my FB page and see pictures of the Wal-Mart cake they went with. Some of them don't even mention that they had or are having a party. It wouldn't bother me as much if they asked and declined for whatever reason but it's like they're being shady. Correction, one friend did ask about and buy a cake in August for her daughter. I guess it shows who my friends really AREN'T. icon_evil.gif

8 replies
scgriffiths Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:31am
post #2 of 9

I have 3 sisters and a brother, who all live within half an hour of me. Between us we have 20 kids. They all rave about my cakes, but you know how many of their birthday cakes I'm asked to do each year..... 1 or occasionally 2......AND my direct family gets 50% discount!!!!! They all usually make their own kids' birthday cakes, because they just don't want to spend more than $20 on a birthday cake. And I know some of them prefer to put that extra money that would have paid for a cake, or an expensive party, toward an extra gift, something their child can keep. I'm not offended, because I wouldn't pay the prices I charge either, unless it was a really special occasion.

Don't be discouraged. Your family obviously appreciates your work. They are probably keeping their parties hidden because they feel bad about not wanting to spend that much money. I looked at some of your photos and I think you do a great job!

dalis4joe Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 9

don't get discouraged... sometime you need to think that they might be in a financial situation that does nto allow them to get an expensive cake... if u charge 50% less.... that's a bargain... my suggestion is to let them know that they can always come to yu and you are willing to work with them and their budget (if that's something you are willing to do)
I go to a very small church and not everyone can afford my cakes even thoguh I charge way lower than my regular clients, but I know it's because they just can't afford it... they have even asked me to just make the topper for them 'cause they will bake the cake since they can't afford to buy it... don't take it personal.. think about all the other things that could be going on...
Good Luck...

Mug-a-Bug Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 9

I think friends and family all expect free stuff (why that is I don't know). You should start making some free cakes for clients besides your family, just to get your name out there. I got lots of business after donating a few cakes to auctions. Try not to be discouraged. If you're not having fun, than maybe take a break for a while until you get the 'bug' again. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 9

After looking at your photos I can't imagine why they would have someone else make their cakes. Your cakes are great! Don't be discouraged, one of these days they will want one of your cakes and you will be booked and unable to do it for them. Mark my word, it will happen.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 9

There are alot of reasons they could have not asked you to make the cake.

Did you actually do cakes for them before? If so, did they ask you to or did you offer? Was it a free cake?

If you answered; Yes, offered and yes, then this could mean that while they think you are talented and make great cakes, and they think you can make money out it, they still may have wanted a free cake. They may have wanted you to offer another free cake.

Sometimes people plan late and just make a quick run to the grocery store for a cake. It isn't always anything personal.

I have only been asked to make one cousin's kid's birthday cake and that was years ago. Doesn't bother me. I'd rather not deal with them sometimes because it is easier to not do it than to deal with the whole pricing situations. Especially if they want a discount.

Now I do do cakes for my SIL for her school functions and she always pays me for them. So it does depend on the family member.

My Grandma's Birthday was in October. We planned a quick party for it, since she was in a Nursing Home with a Halo on her head and we weren't sure how to get 20 people together in her small room. Anyway, the day before the party, when it was planned my Uncle tells me that they are going to order a cake for somewhere. I was like, "well okay." Now, let me just say I work with said Uncle, so it isn't like a, 'Oh I don't see you often and forgot you do cakes' kind of thing, especially since I bring treats in to the office every week or two.

Of course I would have loved to do my Grandma's birthday cake for her, because she is Grandma. While it annoyed me, I knew they always went to this one place for cakes, and I really didn't have the time to do the cake. I would have had to do it after work, all (including baking) in one evening.

I think those that want you to start a business don't really realise what all it means, for you and for them. I say go make a cake for fun, where you can do what ever you want, and not worry about their cakes. icon_smile.gif

dailey Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 9

okay, i'm not sure why you are getting so angry and saying these people are not your friends?? no one is obligated to order a cake from you (not saying that in a rude way, just stating the obvious). i wouldn't take it personally...

KHalstead Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 9

I have done cakes for my neices and nephews in the past but the last 2 years since my business has really picked up, their birthdays have come and gone and I was never asked to do the cakes!1
I asked my brother why?? He said, our party's are never a big deal and you're running a business, we didn't want to bother you or take up your time on a cake that wasn't even going to be showcased...when we have a big party, we'll definitely call you!!

It's not that they didn't want to pay, or that they didn't want MY cake....they viewed my cakes as something that was a show piece and they didn't feel their little parties even warranted such cakes!

maybe your people are the same way??? maybe the cake wasn't the centerpiece to the party and they're just waiting for a nicer occasion to order one from you?

de_montsoreau Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 9

The cakes I bake for the family (the inner circle icon_wink.gif) are always free. The cake is the present. I do not and am not expected to bring any other gifts.
I love doing cakes for them. And these cakes give me a chance to experiment, do things I want to try out. So they are the guinea-pigs and they do not mind in the least.

Just speak to everybody and let them know that you need their support. I am sure you will find out that many of them had the same or similar reasons as KHalstead has mentioned!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%