Owners Of Storefronts Or Bakeries

Business By Motta Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 4:30am by heavenlys

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #1 of 16

Where do you buy the following? Do you have an account for delivery with a local producer at wholesale prices? or do you pick up the goods? just wondering where you buy your groceries?

- eggs
- cream, milk, butter, etc.
- flour

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:31am
post #2 of 16

(When I had my shop, I bought these at) GFS, Sysco, Sam's and walmart. GFS and Sysco were delivery with a minimum truck order so I could get better pricing. And it's really better pricing!

Example of one item: The disposable 1/2 size aluminum pans wer sitting on the shelf at GFS for 99 cents each. I bought them in a case of 250 for a price of just 15 cents each on truck delivery.

Motta Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:15am
post #3 of 16

Wow, nice price Debi! Good savings for you. Thanks for the info.....

I heard or read somewhere (?) about going to a local farm for the eggs. And I wondered if local producers would be the cheapest supplier. It would cost time and gas to get to them but the freshness would be superior. But transportation of eggs, milk, etc. would be a hassle possibly.

Getting stuff delivered to you is the best way to save time and I believe the flour producers will arrange that for bakeries and I'm sure dairy producers too.

I would think it's a hassle to constantly shop for essential items. I'm looking to get a picture of how you keep your inventory stocked and fresh.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:21am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

I heard or read somewhere (?) about going to a local farm for the eggs. And I wondered if local producers would be the cheapest supplier. It would cost time and gas to get to them but the freshness would be superior.

My experience was that our local farmers charged way more than the Jewel, and the size of the eggs wasn't uniform... Could be pullet eggs or more average, but the supply was hit or miss.

But they were fresh. icon_smile.gif

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

Where do you buy the following? Do you have an account for delivery with a local producer at wholesale prices? or do you pick up the goods? just wondering where you buy your groceries?

- eggs
- cream, milk, butter, etc.
- flour

Eggs: we buy from USFoodservice a national distributor that delivers twice a week.

Cream, milk: we buy from Borden Milk a Milk Producer in our region

Flour: We buy from a regional distributor that comes twice a month.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 16

I've wondered about using eggs from a local farm. I love their eggs for my family to eat but was afraid that if (heaven forbid) someone got sick or something I wouldn't be able to provide good proof of purchase or batch number, etc. Any thoughts on this?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 16

I don't know how local farmers treat their eggs but my health dept won't allow non-pasturized eggs.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 16

As a smaller custom shop, I have a hard time meeting the minimum orders for many of the delivery services. I typically just go to the grocery stores. Yes, it takes time, but it is the most economical at this point. As we grow, I anticipate being able to use GFS for deliveries and such.

Motta Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 16

JanH - Yes, I remember getting eggs from the farm when we were young and they did look smaller than the ones in the store. I bet the farmers are putting the very best and uniform size eggs aside for their contracts with big suppliers. Makes sense.

Jennifer - Thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I don't know how local farmers treat their eggs but my health dept won't allow non-pasturized eggs.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking.

Motta Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 16

Jill - what are the requirements for a minimum order?

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #12 of 16

The min. order varies by location and company. We live in a med size town and our min is different than a friend of mine who has a shop in the middle of no where (with the same company). You might try Sisco as well. Where do you live and I might be able to track a supplier down for you.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 16

I am a small cake design studio, just me, no storefront, by appointment only, and I buy my flour, sugar, eggs etc from Costco. It is actually cheaper than my restuarant supplier and way cheaper than the supermarket. I can get 25 lb or 50 lb bags, (I don't have space to store more of it) and then transfer into manageable plastic NFS containers

Motta Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 16

Jennifer - thank you so much for your kind offer to locate a supplier for me. I live in Alberta, Canada so that might make it hard for you since our suppliers are sometimes different (local). But that's so nice of you to offer.

Pattycakesnj - I forgot about Costco!! Yeah, I've bought in bulk there before and just put it into smaller containers just like you do. Good idea.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:49am
post #15 of 16

About eggs......I keep my own chickens and if you only cost the eggs against the cost of their food then my eggs cost the same to a little more than store eggs. If you cost the eggs to the total cost of peep to laying hen and beyond, well that is a much higher cost. So farm eggs cost more but the hens are living a better life.

My girls eggs are laid and collected twice a day. Washed and refrigerated the same day and my customers buy eggs less than three days old and come back the next week for more. I don't think they will ever consume an egg that is more than 5 days old. Store eggs can be weeks old before they even hit the market. Fresh is best!

As for getting sick, you are more likely to get salmonella from commercial production where hens are ill from stress etc. My husband got salmonella from a chili hotdog. It isn't a pretty thing at all, but recent tests from home pasture raised flocks across the country show that salmonella is found in less than 1/2 of 1% of home flocks.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:30am
post #16 of 16

We get all our supplies though sysco. Our minimum order is $500.
As for eggs our health dept has the pastuerized rule too. We also can npt buy meat that is not inspected. May not always be the better product but it is the rules I haveto follow to be in business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%