Covering A Rkt Figure With Fondant

Decorating By bcake1960 Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 10:39pm by cownsj

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:48am
post #1 of 10

Just wondering what does everyone use under fondant on a RKT Figure? Im thinking Buttercream?? But would that make the Rice Krispy Treat Soft
Or is the RKT sticky enough you dont need anything under the fondant?? Thanks..

9 replies
schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:17am
post #2 of 10

I just did this the other day and had better luck covering it with modeling chocolate. I know plenty of people use fondant though.... so maybe someone else will be able to help you (and me!) out. icon_smile.gif

bcake1960 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #3 of 10

I just have had the worst luck with the modeling chocolate, Its always seems very oily..no matter how much I knead it or don't knead it.. Have you ever made it with MMF maybe that is my problem.. anywhoo..

I am using Satin Ice to cover a Whale RKT figure.. but not sure what to use to get the fondant to adhear without making the RTK soft.. thanks for your reply..

Shayesmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shayesmomma Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:49am
post #4 of 10

I just did an RKT Chihuahua head last week. I first coated it in white chocolate (just melted down chips) for stability. Because it was still kind of rough, I used Satin Ice to "fill in" major indentations and then bulk out Features I wanted to accentuate (ie under and between the eyes). Then, I just painted the whole thing with simple syrup (sugar dissolved in water) and covered in fondant. Worked nicely, but I think I would try to smooth the chocolate better next time.
I've also read in one of Collette Peter's books that she covers the RKT in royal icing first.
Good luck... hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:54am
post #5 of 10

Combining modeling chocolate with RKT for new moldable mixture:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623004-.html

HTH

bcake1960 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 10

I did this fish just last weekend! I made the rice krispie treat on Monday and I let it sit and harden for about 2-3 days. (they weren't going to eat it) When I made it I really squished the cerel together so it was as smooth as rice krispie treats can get. I then covered it in regular buttercream frosting and rolled MMF pretty thick (about 3/8") so if I had to "work with it" I wouldn't push through to the krispie. Hope this helps. You will probably find it's a lot easier than you thought. Good luck!!!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1609843

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 10

I just cover in buttercream and then fondant. If you squish the rice krispie treats together really well and cover with a regular layer of buttercream, it will be smooth. I did this for my tiger cake- used RKT for the head. For my winnie the pooh cake, I use rice krispies for the top of the tree. I did not squish the rice krispies and used a very thin layer of buttercream to maintain the lumpy look for tree leaves.
LL

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 10

here's the winnie the pooh cake--it didn't attach.
LL

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

I just have had the worst luck with the modeling chocolate, Its always seems very oily..no matter how much I knead it or don't knead it.. Have you ever made it with MMF maybe that is my problem.. anywhoo..

I am using to cover a Whale RKT figure.. but not sure what to use to get the fondant to adhear without making the RTK soft.. thanks for your reply..

In the past my modeling chocolate had been oily too. but just last night I made some and used 50% more chocolate but left the same amount of corn oil, and it came out perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%