What Do You Mean I Can't Have Cake?

Lounge By Butterfly27 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm by MalibuBakinBarbie

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 23

icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif So my husband and I are very big into keeping in shape and working out. We never have been on any kind of diet. We just eat whatever we want and work it off. Never been a problem with staying in shape. So we decided that we wanted to take out workout ruitine to a whole new much harder level. We just baught the P90X system. I read thru everything last night and it tells me to throw away all the junk food. That means no more cake and cookies. icon_surprised.gif Are you fricking kidding me? I can't live without the cake and cookies. I will die!!!!!!!! I don't think the P90X is going to work out very well for me. My DH says we can do it. Speak for yourself there DH. It's not that I can't do it, it's I don't want to leave behind the (shall I say it) CAKE & COOKIES! OMG what was I thinking? I think I better stick with TAE BO. Sorry guys. Just had to rant a little to people I knew who would understand about the sacrifice of cake and cookies. Not gonna happen. icon_rolleyes.gif Ok I'm done ranting. I will go raid the cookies now to make myself feel better. icon_wink.gif

22 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #2 of 23

LOL. I totally hear you.

I just started weight watcher's last week. Over the weekend I made a small wedding cake last minute for a friend's sone who wanted black velvet cake - which I'd never made. So, of course, I had to make a couple cupcakes from the new recipe to try them, and good thing - 'cause it was terrible! So I tweaked the mix some - still hated it (that's cupcake number 2 now). Threw the whole thing out and tried another recipe (which luckily tasted good) - but that was cupcake number 3. I really did have to try it! So much for losing weight this week! LOL

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #3 of 23

It can be done. I haven't had cake, cookies, candy, chocolate or coffee (I really miss coffee) in almost four years.

Did I mention I miss coffee?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:58am
post #4 of 23

I can live w/o cake but I think I'd die w/o coffee icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:39am
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Ditto that for sure. I'm not a big cake eater LOL but my coffee is a requirement icon_cool.gif

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:13am
post #6 of 23

It's not that you CAN'T have cake, it's that you shouldn't. If you are already in shape, then it will be fine. P90X is SO hard, that a piece of cake every now and then isn't going to matter - that workout will definitely burn it off!! Eat your cake, Butterfly!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 23

I don't believe in elimanting anything from your diet unless it is for medical reason/allergies or you really want to. Because if you don't really want to, you can try to give it up, and you will end up thinking about it, and instead of a piece of cake you will have the whole cake or instead of a cookie or two you will eat the whole package.

I've been losing weight but am not on a 'diet'. I just aim to eat healthier foods, and smaller portions but if I want ice cream I have it. I just make sure I have a 'serving size' or a smaller portion of it. Because I know that I will never go the rest of my life with out eating items with sugar or fat in them. I don't want to live a life like that. It is also the reason, I believe, that people lose weight with crazy diets, but gain it back, because they cut out all the 'bad' stuff, then after they lose weight they go back to eating normal foods.

So I say if you want cake, have cake, if you want a cookie have a cookie. Just do it in moderation. icon_smile.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

i ditto that!! lol!

i *highly* recommend the book "body for life". it allows you one cheat day and the other 6 days you eat clean. i used to follow that book to a tee when i was a marathon runner. i still, to this day, do a cheat day on sunday and i even apply that to my kids. the exercise program is awesome too...

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 23

I'm on LCHF diet since a few months back and I do the "wine taster" - I taste my frostings, fillings and cake but I don't swallow icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 23

Egensinnig, that reminds me of a time when I was trying really hard not to nibble on icing as I was working in the kitchen. On the third time of putting icing in my mouth I was like why am I doing this, I don't really want it, and I did spit it out. It felt good too. icon_smile.gif

As far as tasting a recipe, you can have a bite or two of the cupcake to get a taste and not eat the rest. Generally if I want a treat like that I'll have half the cupcake, and if it isn't chocolate, my dog gets the other half. Win win for us both.

Pinki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinki Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Egensinnig, that reminds me of a time when I was trying really hard not to nibble on icing as I was working in the kitchen. On the third time of putting icing in my mouth I was like why am I doing this, I don't really want it, and I did spit it out. It felt good too. icon_smile.gif

I found I was constantly nibbling on the buttercream whenever I was working a cake. I now chew gum every time I work on a cake...and no more nibbles!

Butterfly27 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 23

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I started the P90X workout and yes it is intense. I think I will be able to still eat the cake and cookies and burn it off. I won't eat them as much as I usually do but I think I will do what dailey said about having 1 cheat day a week. That will be ok I think. Last night after the workout I was going to eat some cookies and then I started to feel guilty so I made a plate of vegies instead. My husband started laughing at me and he said good for you I am so proud of you. icon_mad.gif Not what I wanted to hear. I just gave him the look and shoved a carrot in my mouth. LOL. Since hubby is at work right now I think I will go get a cookie. tapedshut.gif

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 23

I don't believe in self deprivation. icon_smile.gif I go with the everything in moderation diet. I eat what I want but I just hvae to think ahead on my day. If I know I'm eating dessert later I'll skip the sweets during the day. Worked so far. I've lost 35 pounds.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I found I was constantly nibbling on the buttercream whenever I was working a cake. I now chew gum every time I work on a cake...and no more nibbles!

I tried the gum during my course one class and caught myself taking the gum out to eat the frosting!! icon_surprised.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 23

icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:07am
post #16 of 23

Awww. I dont know what happened to the rest of my post . Ugghhh I wrote more than just the 2 faces.

Oh well.......

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:57am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly27

icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif So my husband and I are very big into keeping in shape and working out. We never have been on any kind of diet. We just eat whatever we want and work it off. Never been a problem with staying in shape. So we decided that we wanted to take out workout ruitine to a whole new much harder level. We just baught the P90X system. I read thru everything last night and it tells me to throw away all the junk food. That means no more cake and cookies. icon_surprised.gif Are you fricking kidding me? I can't live without the cake and cookies. I will die!!!!!!!! I don't think the P90X is going to work out very well for me. My DH says we can do it. Speak for yourself there DH. It's not that I can't do it, it's I don't want to leave behind the (shall I say it) CAKE & COOKIES! OMG what was I thinking? I think I better stick with TAE BO. Sorry guys. Just had to rant a little to people I knew who would understand about the sacrifice of cake and cookies. Not gonna happen. icon_rolleyes.gif Ok I'm done ranting. I will go raid the cookies now to make myself feel better. icon_wink.gif

Well, it could be much worse... You could be diabetic like me.

Everything about it makes it difficult to bake, make frosting, experiment with new recipes, etc. But I manage. When I was first diagnosed, I thought was gonna have to quit doing cakes altogether. Now I just trust my recipes and if I need to taste, that's all it is, a taste on the tip of my pinkie finger.

You'll still be able to have sweets now and then. But I'll always be diabetic. There is a Persian Proverb: "I wept because I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet."

TexasSugar Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCC

I tried the gum during my course one class and caught myself taking the gum out to eat the frosting!! icon_surprised.gif[/quote]

I'm not a big gum chewer so it doesn't really help me. You can also brush your teeth before you start, use strong mouth wash or breathe mints.

But I think part of it is just habit and doing it absent mindedly.

In my Course 1, the first night of class I give them a list of rules. Rule #1 Have fun! Rule #2 - do not lick your finger, spatula or suck icing out of your decorating tips. (See how important I think this rule is?)

I've seen all of this happen in class and I just gently remind them that other people will be eating their cake and they dont really want their spit all over it. Another thing about it is that people are aware of what they are doing. I can't tell you how many students have lifted their fingers to their mouth, then stop and look at me. I dont yell at them to stop nor do I make a big deal out of the ones that do it. It just makes people stop and thing.

When Im in class I never have the urge to lick my finger, but that is probably because I know all eyes are on me. At home, I know I do it sometimes with out even thinking about it. I can say that I have baked a cake, cookies and cupcakes in the last week and have only tasted the icing once. I was making buttercream flavored with Baileys and I wanted to see if it was strong enough of a taste to it. I only tried about a 1/4th of a teaspoon, just enough to get a taste for it. It is an improvement, and I know that if I can keep it up, Ill replace that habit with a better one.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #19 of 23

I am so glad that you posted what you did about P90X. I have been considering ordering it. I can see from the infomercial how hard you have to work and I know it would be a total challenge for me. I don't enjoy the commercials that tell you you can look great in 5 minutes a day using some contraption because they just don't work for me, plus I enjoy a good work out. I do like the Kettlenetics program though! It takes some pretty decent muscle contractions to control the swinging motion of the kettlebell and you use muscles you forgot you ever had! (I don't think that program is good if you have back/neck problems, though, so be careful.) Anyway, sorry to get sidetracked there! I don't think I will order the P90X because, like you, I CANNOT GIVE UP MY SUGARY SWEETS! icon_cry.gif I just can't! icon_biggrin.gif

Butterfly27 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:48pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBakinBarbie

I am so glad that you posted what you did about P90X. I have been considering ordering it. I can see from the infomercial how hard you have to work and I know it would be a total challenge for me. I don't enjoy the commercials that tell you you can look great in 5 minutes a day using some contraption because they just don't work for me, plus I enjoy a good work out. I do like the Kettlenetics program though! It takes some pretty decent muscle contractions to control the swinging motion of the kettlebell and you use muscles you forgot you ever had! (I don't think that program is good if you have back/neck problems, though, so be careful.) Anyway, sorry to get sidetracked there! I don't think I will order the P90X because, like you, I CANNOT GIVE UP MY SUGARY SWEETS! icon_cry.gif I just can't! icon_biggrin.gif

So I have been doing it a couple days now and I am using muscles that I didn't know I had. This workout is way more difficult than Tae Bo ever could be. My arms hurt so bad from the push ups. This is deffinately not the kind of workout that you get fit in just 5 minutes like some of those other workouts say you do but it is intense enough that if you keep it up you do start to see results after a few workouts. I most deffinately can't give up the sweets. I still have to have my cake and cookies. I even tried what someone else said about chewing gum and that don't work for me either. Anyway, I have cut down on the sweets just can't cut them out totally. For anyone else who is thinking about buying this workout system I suggest you be prepared for how intense it is since it does cost alot of money. Be prepared to stick with it. If you are not used to working out on a regular basis then this is not the program for you. It requires 6 days of working out and then the 7th day of rest and then it starts all over again. Other workout routines might only require a few days a week not everyday. Anyway, just thought I would give you all an update on how things are going. Talk to ya's later.

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:05am
post #21 of 23

I lost 23lbs in 6 weeks (that is when I had to give up b/c I couldn't take it anymore LOL. P90X is really strenuous and not for the "Oh, I think I may work out today" kinda person - you know....what I am now. haha! Like I said before, you can have your cake, the workout will burn it off!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeckieAnne

Over the weekend I made a small wedding cake last minute for a friend's sone who wanted black velvet cake - which I'd never made.

....So now I'm curious...black velvet cake? Do share! icon_smile.gif What does this look like? A dark chocolate cake but not chocolate?.... A little OT, but still! Curious is all. icon_biggrin.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #23 of 23

Thanks for sharing that, Butterfly27!!! Worth further consideration then! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%