Correct Baking Time And Temperature

Baking By CakesByBabycakes Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 2:59am by dguerrant

CakesByBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBabycakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:32am
post #1 of 3

I have a 12"x12" square baking pan. I want to make a two-layer cake. I attempted to bake one layer, used two cake mixes for the first bake, used baking core in the center. Cake looked good, used toothpick method to check doness of the cake, it was a little high, good for making top level. Completely cooled the cake. Last thing before bed, wrapped the cake in plastic wrap. Shocked when I saw it this morning, all shrivelelled and sunken in the center. What in the world could have happened?

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of 3

Sounds like although the toothpick came out clean the cake may have not been completely baked in the centre.Sometimes air traps inside and humps the cake up in the middle and then it deflates as soon as the cool air hits it.I like to bake at 325 on Convection..It takes a bit longer but my cakes seem to bake more even...Maybe lowering your temp and bake longer will help.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByBabycakes

I have a 12"x12" square baking pan. I want to make a two-layer cake. I attempted to bake one layer, used two cake mixes for the first bake, used baking core in the center. Cake looked good, used toothpick method to check doness of the cake, it was a little high, good for making top level. Completely cooled the cake. Last thing before bed, wrapped the cake in plastic wrap. Shocked when I saw it this morning, all shrivelelled and sunken in the center. What in the world could have happened?

I TOO LOWER MY TEMPERATURE TO 325 ESPECIALLY WHEN I BAKE THE LARGER CAKES, BUT I THINK THE PROBLEM YOU EXPERIENCED IS SOMETHING i DO ON A REGULAR BASIS AND ON PURPOSE. I BELIECVE THAT ONCE YOU WRAP A HOT CAKE WITH PLASTIC WRAP, THE STEAM CAN'T ESCAPE, AND THE MOISTURE STAYS TRAPPED AND BASICALLY IT'S VACUMNN PACKED IN A SENSE. ONCE MY CAKES COME OUT OF THE OVEN I WAIT 10 - 15 MINUTES BEFORE I WRAP THEM. BY DOING THIS, IT CHANGES THE TEXTURE TO A MORE DENSE CAKE WHICH IS GREAT FOR CARVING AND PEOPLE SWEAR IT'S A SCRATCH CAKE BECAUSE OF THE DENSITY AND THE MOISTNESS CREATED BY COVERING IT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%