Traditions!

Lounge By auntbeesbaking Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm by mandymakescakes

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:05am
post #1 of 25

I was curious if anyone has a specific tradition when it comes to cake decorating?

Mine is that if I am decorating on a Saturday morning, it's an automatic McDonald's breakfast! I want protein and get an Egg McMuffin, hash brown and hot coffee! My husband goes and gets it and brings it home. I guess I think eating the hashbrown somehow cuts down on the sugary feeling! Sometimes I can't wait for the shower afterward and wash all that stickiness off!

I would be interested in reading your tradition if you're willing to share it!

Happy Baking! icon_smile.gif

24 replies
misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 25

Yes, on Saturdays if I have a cake order my DH gets me tacos from a Mexican Restaurant!!!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:17am
post #3 of 25

I guess my "tradition" is that when I finish a cake, I go chill out with the laptop for awhile before getting back up to clean up all the destruction. icon_smile.gif Sometimes I even just partly clean and then hope hubby will finish in the morning for me. Sometimes he does!!!!

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #4 of 25

I'm not a professional, but I can't bake (or cook anything for that matter) unless I'm hungry! Wierd, huh?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 25

I have to have music playing. But that goes for just about everything.

I don't know if this is a tradition exactly, but my work station has to be impeccable clean and tidy.

Oh, when I'm done using a piping bag, I have to squeeze the remaining frosting towards the tip. I can't have it all over the bag. If that makes any sense.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 25

LOL I wish I could have an impeccable workspace...it starts out clean...but then I'm so focused on getting things done that things just get tossed everywhere until when I'm done I have a whirlwind to clean up! When I'm concentrating on decorating, I can't bother to stop to clean something or put something away. Its terrible, I know.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #7 of 25

YES, my tradition is to make my kitchen look like a grenade went off in the flour bin icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:42am
post #8 of 25

I have to have the TV on even just for sound..I also clean as I go so that I don't have a horrific mess.I lay everything out and get set up so I am not spending so much time setting up I can just get to it!!I also like to start as soon as I get home from dropping off the kids at school for 8:30 am other wise if I sit down and have a coffee or watch TV for a bit...I lose the momentum and motivation...

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

LOL I wish I could have an impeccable workspace...it starts out clean...but then I'm so focused on getting things done that things just get tossed everywhere until when I'm done I have a whirlwind to clean up! When I'm concentrating on decorating, I can't bother to stop to clean something or put something away. Its terrible, I know.

Same here! Once I get started with something, it's hard for me to stop until it's complete. Usually I get so wrapped up in it that I forget to eat and the hunger hits me as soon as I've finished. So I eat and then clean up the mess icon_rolleyes.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

YES, my tradition is to make my kitchen look like a grenade went off in the flour bin icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif Guess mine is too.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #11 of 25

I always tell people a bakery has just exploded in my house icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:38am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I don't know if this is a tradition exactly, but my work station has to be impeccable clean and tidy.

Oh, when I'm done using a piping bag, I have to squeeze the remaining frosting towards the tip. I can't have it all over the bag. If that makes any sense.

We could soooo work together!!! the music i listen to depends on the style of the cake I am doing. I listen to just about anything..except rap..it gives me a headache.

And the icing on the bag.. not in my kitchen !! heheh icon_lol.gif

my thing is also.. i can not eat when i am working, I'll start a cake on thursday and wont eat til saturday after it is delivered. I dont like to stop working once i am started. It is probably neves too..that i might drop the cake !!

Renaejrk Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:43am
post #13 of 25

BTW - when I saw the title of this post I so started singing from Fiddler on the Roof! - hahaha

frostedtouch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedtouch Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:06am
post #14 of 25

I do my decorating at my mom's house, so when I get there I sit down with a cup of coffee and the crossword puzzle from that day's paper. I think it helps to clear my mind before diving into my cake!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have to have the TV on even just for sound..I also clean as I go so that I don't have a horrific mess.

Ditto on the cleaning and the TV, although I like to have old movies on as background. Old as in, ones I've seen several times before so I don't have to actually *watch* to know what's happening!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 25

I'm starting a new one. I am trying take my pictures of my cake before I leave. This way I know I'll have at least one decent one.

Renaejrk Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:09pm
post #17 of 25

I have several good movies on the DVR that I play while I work.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #18 of 25

first I turn the TV on- usually a sporting game or an old movie that I can just listen too and don't need to watch constantly

Then I fill one sink with hot, soapy water, and the other 1/2 way with sanitizer and hot water (only half way so that I can lift and rinse)

--that way I can clean as I go by just throwing things in the sink to soak and not harden. Then if I need it I can quickly wash, sanitize and rinse. It also makes end clean-up easier since it's all been soaking in hot water.-- icon_smile.gif

Then I get out all my ingredients (expect eggs, which were already out for a while getting to room temp) icon_smile.gif

My 12 year old cooks too. When she calls to ask if she can bake or cook- I ask "What's the first rule?" she replies "Fill the sink with Hot, soapy water". If she doesn't answer that way and do it... she can't cook! I know that at least pans, utensils, and measuring cups won't be laying around crusting when I get home (even if the counter is a mess!) ha ha ha

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:21pm
post #19 of 25

I have to have music playing, all ingredients have to be in containers ready to use, Kitchen must be clean, and I run my family out of the kitchen until i am finished!!! Sad to say it is my only quiet time

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:49pm
post #20 of 25

I am always up into the wee hours doing my decorating, and I always watch 2 or 3 cheesy old 80's movies. Footloose, Flashdance, Breakfast Club, etc. etc. No one else is awake at that hour to mock me.

Great thread! thumbs_up.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #21 of 25

I take over the kitchen and dining room of my house. I turn on the tv and usually watch something like Law and Order or Bones. There must be a ready supply of Dr. Pepper available. I almost always forget to eat until I am done. I also don't like it when DH asks me "How much longer are you gonna be?" Especially on a Friday night when the cake is due Saturday morning! icon_lol.gif

CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have to have the TV on even just for sound..I also clean as I go so that I don't have a horrific mess.I lay everything out and get set up so I am not spending so much time setting up I can just get to it!!I also like to start as soon as I get home from dropping off the kids at school for 8:30 am other wise if I sit down and have a coffee or watch TV for a bit...I lose the momentum and motivation...

same thing here i need the tv on in order to get started...lol

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

I also don't like it when DH asks me "How much longer are you gonna be?" Especially on a Friday night when the cake is due Saturday morning! icon_lol.gif

Uggh, I hate that! As long as it takes! Mine likes to ask, "Are you coming to bed soon?" Does it look like I'm coming to bed?
I usually start as soon as I get home from my real job so I guess my tradition is a strong pot of coffee and of course the sugarnado that's left when I'm done. And yes I have to have the t.v. on too. Just something to listen to while I work.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

I also don't like it when DH asks me "How much longer are you gonna be?" Especially on a Friday night when the cake is due Saturday morning! icon_lol.gif

Uggh, I hate that! As long as it takes! Mine likes to ask, "Are you coming to bed soon?" Does it look like I'm coming to bed?

That's when I laugh and tell him that he can go to bed WITHOUT me! icon_lol.gif

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Hahaha! We could be cut from the same cloth on this one... I listen to music while doing everything except for driving, oddly enough, and my workstation always starts out clean and structured, but it usually ends up a bit messier than I would prefer (I'm working on that!).

Good for you aquamom! Taking pictures before you leave home is a great practice to get into. There's something so satisfying about that last step before delivery, isn't there? thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%