Looking For Help How To

Decorating By cakesondemand Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 12:06am by cakesondemand

cakesondemand Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone put a cake together with calla stems as a pillar I have a 4 tier cake to do and Im alittle stumped on how to support the calla stems in between the tiers to make them look like they are going through the cakes.
Attached is a sample picture of what Im needing help on. I will have the bottom 2 tiers stacked then callas and another tier then callas and the top tier.

7 replies
apetricek Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 8

wow that is a cool cake...they actually did my wedding cake there in 2003. It was pretty...expensive .anyway..I was thinking that you could some how hot glue the stems (since that is clear and dries so fast) to the pillar. I would think you would have to "wrap" the tops and the bottoms somehow too since that looks like it goes into the cake. could you maybe get artificial stems that may really work the best, and they would also be a little more supportive. I am not a huge fan of silk flowers, but now they have them where they look so real. You could just basically use the stems to give the look.. then wouldn't have to deal with the real stems causing issues...just a thought. Good luck with this. I am sure there will be others with other thoughts...

cakesondemand Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 8

I will be using fake stems and gumpaste callas what im wondering is if theres some kind of setup that has a center pillar thats stable enough to hold the weight.

mysweetconfetions Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 8

Maybe you could use pieces of PVC pipe and acouple of flanges to do this. Just cut the hole in your cake large enough to slide down the pipe with the stems glued to it. JMHO

JaimeAnn Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 8

I would make the stems out of gumpaste also.. then attatch them around a pillar.

Wilton has a center column cake stand

Or if you are handy you could construct your own.

cakesondemand Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 8

I have that stand didnt think using it thanks

Doug Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 8

be sure to see this thread -- very complete instructions

cakesondemand Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:06am
post #8 of 8

WOW thats it Doug your a life saver I had seen that thread and was looking for it thanks so much knew someone on here would have the answer Doug to the rescue. Thanks so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%