Drip Effect

Decorating By bea30 Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 4:43am by carmijok

bea30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bea30 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a red velvet cake and want to do a black drip down the sides, like the eerie Nightmare Before Christmas Halloween cake. Can I get some suggestions on how to make this look the best? I haven't had a lot of success with a nice drip effect with ganache. Also, should I use buttercream or fondant under it in white? Thanks!

8 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 9

The way how I learn how to do mine, is to melt the chocolate in a piping bag, and then run it over the cake very close to the ends and it causes the drip effect, I am also a member of yummyarts.com you can join and you get a 30 day free trial, and after that you don't have to continue if you don't want to pay the monthly fee. that is where I learned to do mine.
LL

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 9

I have a very bad (but you'll get the idea) youtube video that shows how I do my chocolate drips. You can use candy melts and do the same thing I imagine. Might have to thin a bit with shortening.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 9

Pretty much what Lisa is showing.

bea30 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you Lisa. That is exactly what I needed to see. I appreciate you posting the video.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:44am
post #6 of 9

I USE WARMED CANNED ICING. I USE CHOCOLATE AND ADDBLACK TO GET A GOOD DEEP BLACK, OR WHITE WITH OTHER COLORS. I JUST WARM IT IN THE MICROWAVE UNTIL IT'S SMOOTH AND POURABLE, NOT HOT OR IT WILL MELT THE BUTTERCREAM, JUST WARM TO THE TOUCH AND POURABLE. FIRST FILL A BAG WITH SOME FOR THE EDGES TO HAVE READY, THEN, I POUR SOME ON THE TOP AND SMOOTH WITH A SPATULA TO THE EDGE THE USE THE BAG TO GO AROUND THE EDGE, IF DONE QUICKLY ENOUGH, IT IS SEAMLESS. BEST WISHES ON YOUR CREATION icon_lol.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #7 of 9

Best thing I did was to pour my warm ganache in a squeeze bottle (a Wilton one) and just run it around the edge of my cake. The bottle gave me so much more control than a piping bag. The opening at the tip was I want to say a medium size. You want the ganache to run freely. Then fill in the top of the cake so it looks like it dripped over the sides.

bea30 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:31am
post #8 of 9

do you think it will work to do this over fondant or do I need to use buttercream icing?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:43am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bea30

do you think it will work to do this over fondant or do I need to use buttercream icing?

I really don't know why you couldn't do it over fondant. I will say that I've only done it over buttercream because I like using buttercream instead of fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%