Super Gum For Gp?

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm by LuvLyrics

LuvLyrics Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 5

I went to my local baking store and I got the Super Gum, they told me it works better than tylose, I've never used either before, so for me it works just fine.

Now my questions are...Has anyone ever heard of this product before? and If I am substituting the tylose for super gum to make gum paste, Will the measurement for the ingredient changes?

Thanks !

4 replies
weirkd Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 5

I bought some from an online store. I didnt see the difference with the tylose and the Super Gum.

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 5

Super Gum is another name/brand for CMC--which is an alternative for tylose or gum tex.

It's no better, or worse, than tylose, but it can be more expensive.

Rae

Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:58am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLyrics

I went to my local baking store and I got the Super Gum, they told me it works better than tylose, I've never used either before, so for me it works just fine.

Now my questions are...Has anyone ever heard of this product before? and If I am substituting the tylose for super gum to make gum paste, Will the measurement for the ingredient changes?

Thanks !

Check the label....if it is CMC [carboxymethyl cellulose] then it is the same thing as Tylose....tylose is just a common name.

SAVE YOURSELF SOME CASH.....

Go to eBay and search for CMC or carboxymethyl cellulose....you can buy a pound of it for about $10 from several companies....all of which is food grade. It is used as a thickener for many food products besides gum paste.

LuvLyrics Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 5

In other words, they got my MONEY LOL.... they told me it was better!!

Thank you so much to everyone for the reply !! I am glad I asked instead of continuing paying so much for Super Gum !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%