Camo Cake For A Birthday Party Advice!!

Decorating By Katelyn1218 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm by sarkee

Katelyn1218 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a cake for a 9 yr old. He wants a chocolate cake with chocolate icing and the top has to be camo. He was very persistant with this detail. icon_biggrin.gif

The problem is, I've never done a camo icing cake before. Everything else I've looked up to give me an idea of how to do this has been very clumpy looking, and I want it to be more smooth. Not perfection, but I don't want it to look like I just piped globs of green icing on the top, either.

Does anyone have any advise on doing this? And what tints of green coloring should I get? Any advice would be much appreciated!

8 replies
KHalstead Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 9

pipe globs of frosting all over the place (LOL), butting one color up against the next color in a random pattern, and then let it crust. Then get out your trusty high density foam roller or Viva paper towels and smooth it all out. It doesn't mess with the design at all.

Here is one I did.
The only problem I think you're going to have is that he wants chocolate icing (will work for black or dk. brown...but not sure how you'll get green icing in chocolate unless it's white chocolate which isn't REALLY chocolate, but I digress)

KHalstead Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 9

oh and I used "forest green" for the green, and a touch of " choc. brown" for the tan, and more "choc. brown" for the brown. I use americolor brand gels HTH

sherrywarf Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 9

Do you have an airbursh? If you have an airbrush machine, my advice would be to do a light brown chocolate icing and airbrush the dark brown, green, and black coloring on to it. That way it keeps your icing smooth. There are tons of cakes on here that you can use as pattern references. Good Luck and Happy Caking! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 9

here are a few names that i had saved. TTran.. jlo6024..alijennings... pebblito.. they have great camo cakes. p/m them. there is another c/cer .. she has a tutorial on this site. her name is something like jemmejack... something like that . but these other names i have given have great camo cakes.hth

Katelyn1218 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all the tips! Love your cake, KHalstead. I don't have an airbrush, sharrywarf, but thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to look those people right now, icer101. Thanks!!

Aurora_333 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 9

I just Uploaded a green camo cake. It is chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream. If you like it PM me and I will help you. It wasn't hard just time consuming.

Aurora_333 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 9

You will have to look in my photos cause I don't know how to upload them on this page, sorry. HTH

sarkee Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 9

I'm no pro...but I have done 2. They are in my photos. Let me know if you want any info on how I did them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%