How Do I Keep Fondant Covered Cake Cool In Car For 8+ Hours

Decorating By yumalicious Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 4:37am by Texas_Rose

yumalicious Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 5

I will be driving for 8+ hours with a cake for my sister's baby shower. It wll be frosted/filled w/ fresh strawberry buttercream and covered in fondant. I won't put any other decorations on it until we arrive, but I at least need to have this much done. I don't want to use ice b/c I don't want too much (or any) condensation on the cake. Should I use dry ice in the cooler?

4 replies
prterrell Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 5

Dry ice will make it too cold, causing the cake to freeze.

leah_s Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 5

Why does it need to stay cold?

dguerrant Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:12am
post #4 of 5

WHAT TYPE OF COLORS ARE USED, WHAT KIND OF CAR/SUVETC..., HOW FAR TO TRAVEL,WHAT IS THE TEMP THERE? I HAVE DRIVEN A WEEDINGING AND GROOM'S CAKE 3 1/2 HOURS BEFORE, BUT IT WAS IN FEB. IN ARKANSAS, SO IT WASN'T TO HOT, I HAD AN SUV WITH THE HEAT OFF AND THE CAKE WAS COMPLETELY DECORATED, ONLY NEEDED TO BE STACKED. I PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER THE NIGHT BEFORE AND TRAVELED WITH THEM FROZEN. BY THE TIME WE GOT THERE AND STACKED THEM + AN 1 1/2 HOUR WAIT TILL THE SERVICE, THE CAKES WERE PERFECT. I DID PRACTICE THE FREEZING AND THAWING TIME ON ANOTHER CAKE THAT I HAD A FEW WEEKS BEFORE SO I KNEW THAT THE CAKES WOULD BE THAWED IN TIME, ALSO, I DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CONDENSATION BECAUSE OF THE TEMP OF THE CAR, WE BUNDLED UP FOR THE RIDE. HOPE THIS HELPS icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #5 of 5

As long as you're not running the heater in the car and the cake is not sitting where the sun can hit it (may have to reposition during the drive) you should be okay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%